Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Check it out
Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Thank God one of those clowns got arrested, the "flying spaghetti monster" shit was just about the dumbest joke ever, it was kind of amusing at first, but it didn't take long for it to get older than Tutankhamen.

It's not a damn religion, it's a prank, and if this guy actually ends up winning this thing, then we should just pack it up and call it quits as a species.

[ 03-31-2007, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm sure that followers of the Greek, or Roman Gods initially felt the same way about Judaism, and Christianity. A couple of cults that would never last. I'm sure that followers of Judaism feel the same way about Christianity. A cult that would never last. Anyway, moratorium and all, unfortunately, since I'd really love to field this.

Edit: Spelling errors...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

No, seriously, it's not a real religion, it was only made to make fun of real religions and such. It is entirely a joke and anyone who defends their "religious rights" about it is just trying to screw over other people's rights to practise their religion by making absurd demands.

It's not a matter of debate, I'm afraid, look up some of the stuff on the thing, it's just an elaborate "prank" by idiots.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Notice my From: I live in Kansas, and I understand what it is. The facts are, in a science class, you teach theories, and the way these theories have been arrived at, and the lab work that can allow you to arrive at the same basic conclusion. The guy's point, which is very valid, is that there is no scientific way to prove God, in any form. If religion x, and religion y are recognized, but z is left out, then we get into State sponsorship of x and y. Religion has no more place in a science class than Tolkien does in History class, unless we're willing to concede that Tolkien's works are pertinent history. If one group gets to have it's say, then you have to represent all groups. If you're going to teach ID in a class room, then the Bible cannot be the text book. Not all religions that the world recognize as valid follow that book, and mine certainly doesn't.

So on that point, you are correct, there is no need to debate. In principle the guy is exactly right; if you are going to teach religion in school, then you need to teach all of them, no matter what your own personal opinion about it may be. After all, we're not trying to teach a specific religion, right? *Insert the "Yeah, right" smiley here*.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

If you're going to give all groups their say, then anyone could trump through ridiculous rights and advantages by claiming they've invented a religion based on Webster's Dictionary.

This. Thing. Is. A. Joke.

And fact is, we can't accomodate all points of view, so we're just going to have to provide space for the most popular ones. Tough luck for the rest.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Indeed, in my largely Pagan mindset, any one not Pagan has no right to an opinion, or expression. No matter how silly that expression might be. You see, that's one of the things that's supposed to make this country great. You have the right to express yourself, unless it's harmful to others. The fact that one person thinks something is childish shouldn't matter, I think that the Stand, Kneel, Sit rinse and repeat thing at a Catholic Wedding is kinda silly, but I didn't invent the ritual, and largely, it doesn't affect me, unless I go to another Catholic wedding. But to say, "It's not real, he doesn't have the right to..." insert whatever you like there, isn't right either. If it's real to him, it's real. Check out the last link in my sig for my stand out, published opinion on the whole thing. Remember, if Faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain, and documentation makes a religion, then Pastafarianism is every bit as legit as any other religion. Legitimacy is in the eye of the beholder, after all. I'm sure that boy doesn't believe in you either, but you're still here.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Me thinks pastafarianism is more realistic than scientology!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion
The guy, in principle, is right. As RTB said, you cant decide to teach one religion (or two) to the exclusion of all others. And while the Flying Spagetti monster is a joke, religions like Buddism, Islam, Hinduism, Taoism and many, many others are not.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Joke? Hoo boy, then what's going to happen to that $10,000 initiation fee I paid?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote