Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

When we moved in here, we fixed the oil furnace that was being used to heat the home. Several problems have occured in the past few years however, such as oil spill under the house, rising costs of oil, and the furnance breaks down occasionally, leaving us to use use Kerosine Heaters instead. I also have a leak around the chimney pipe.

Here are my options for heating our home now. I will be getting some money from school in the next week or so, and it will be enough to take care of whatever I decide to do.

1. Fix furnace and stay with oil.
2. Buy propane tanks and heat with natural gas. (Lines from road not available on my street)
3. Buy Heat Pump.

The propane tanks would have to be refueled as much as the oil drum now is, and would be about the same price, costing about $400 in oil/season.

The heat pump would run the electic bill up, but it might be cheaper than $400/season. At least it is cleaner and no mess to worry about, which would help the home smell better, and is more enviromentally friendly.

What other options are there that I have not considered? What is the best plan?
For reference, I live in a 1956 Ranch-style home. It has three small bedrooms, and one little bath. Overall area is about 1900 sq. ft.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Go with the heat pump, Larry. Much faster to heat and cheaper, especially if you can get natural gas.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Go with the heat pump, Larry. Much faster to heat and cheaper, especially if you can get natural gas.
Thanks for the response!

Er...did you mean if I can't get natural gas?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm voting for the heat pump, too, Larry. With the volatile state of fossil fuel, you'll save money going electic. Those prices are effected by the same volatility, but the effect is moderated.

I do plan on getting a gas hot water heater though. With two kids and a wife competing with me for shower time, I can only imagine the joy of an unending stream of hot water.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Electric is always nice, constant unless you have a power failure, but it is more reliable then gas. Gas is great to cook with [img]smile.gif[/img] Also make sure you have good insulation in the attic and your windows are up to spec as well as having a good storm door. Check and see if your windows are properly sealed on the outside if not go and buy so 30year outside caulking and re-seal those windows. You might not think much about it, but it pays off big time. Do you have a fire place ? If so get a nice heavy duty screen for the front of it to keep little hands away and stock up on some fire wood, this will also help by keeping your family room warm and toasty, plus you can roast marshmellows over it and popcorn, hehe ah sweet memories

But do have the insulation checked, Im sure it was when y'all got the house, but make sure you have enough.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:32 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

*Is there a brand name that is good?

*What price range am I to expect?

*Should I have the floor (craw-space) insulated?

Old 08-04-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Gas is more economical and quicker to heat, but since you don't have a gas line hookup, it's a moot point. Electric is reliable, but more expensive. If you have a small home, the difference will be nominal. If you have a large home, the difference will be significant.

A point to remember is that electric is not that environmentally freindly. You burn fossil fuel to make heat to drive turbines to make electricity, and then make the electricity back into heat. Much more energy is wasted in this process than cutting out the middle man and just using the heat produced by the burning fuel.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not sure what I'd do in your place Larry. I guess if the furnace is failing on a regular basis you'd have to completely replace it or do major repairs to it if you keep the oil. Personally, I'm not fond of the mess/smell with oil heat and furnaces but I hear they are more efficient these days than the ones I grew up with.

We have natural gas in our house and I love it. But I have to say the price has gone up drastically in the last few years. I don't know how expensive propane is in relation to either oil or natural gas, but I suspect it's close and of course as you noted, you'd have to have it refilled regularly.

I've heard good things about heat pumps. I suppose you might get a heating rep out there to do an estimate for you on all your options. Then go from there. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Sorry, didn't see the part where you don't have gas. I'd find out what the cost would be to run a line, but if it's too expensive, an electric heat pump would be the way to go, IMHO. We have a Trane, and it has been reliable.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Do you have much trouble with power outages during winter storms? If the power goes out, so does your electric heat...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!