Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

It's been a long time since I networked a system, and now that I have the server at home, I have no idea why the following is happening:

This is how my layout looks:

Ok, here are my Router settings:

1. DMZ is OFF
2. Port 80 and 25 and SMTP is open only.
3. DHCP is off
All else is default I believe.

Anyway, on my HOME PC, I cannot connect to my website in the browser, and I can't get to the IP even (24.129.134.18). Also cannot get to these on my laptop. BUT, both can get on the Internet fine. (I went to altavista's translate site and entered the ironworksforum.com URL, and THEIR server pulls my website fine. It's just my setup.

Also, I can't host my Neverwinter Nights game. (I DID open the correct ports for the game too! 5121 and a range as well).

If you know HOW I can fix this, please reply or email me.

Now, I CAN copy files to my shared folder, and go to another PC and it'll be there.. so I can transmit files between PC's just fine.

Any help would be VERY helpful! [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks!!!

[ 12-30-2002, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-30-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

its the router i think what you need to do is do a search for your hosts file and edit it so your url and i.p.(which would be your servers ip) is in it..

[ 12-30-2002, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 12-30-2002, 01:32 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
its the router i think what you need to do is do a search for your hosts file and edit it so your url and i.p.(which would be your servers ip) is in it..
I don't understand what you mean... can you post an example of the hosts file with my ips in it? should this hosts file be on the server or all of my PC's?
There are 2 hosts files.. host sam and host..

Help! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!!

Old 12-30-2002, 02:24 AM   #4
Borvik
Drow Warrior

Did you configure a default gateway on your home pc and the laptop? It should have the ip-adress of your router.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:18 AM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Sounds like you have incorrect subnet mask settings in your router or computer(s). You should most likely have your subnet set to 255.255.255.0 on your PC's behind your router. That's assuming you're using Network Address Translation on your router to minimize the number of IP addresses you have to reserve for your subnet. If not, you will need to set an exact subnet mask depending on the number of IP's your subnet has. This can be somewhat complex for someone who has never done it before and I would get your service providers help. They should know all the proper settings. The subnet mask tells the computer which packets are actually going to destinations on the subnet and which ones get forwarded to the gateway address to go outside the subnet.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:23 AM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I just took a closer look at the diagram. You look like you have NAT set up since you are using 192.168.x.x IP's. Check the subnet masks on the individual PC's.

AND on the inside router interface. (forgot to add that important tidbit the first time)

[ 01-03-2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 12-30-2002, 12:39 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Sounds like you have incorrect subnet mask settings in your router or computer(s). You should most likely have your subnet set to 255.255.255.0 on your PC's behind your router. That's assuming you're using Network Address Translation on your router to minimize the number of IP addresses you have to reserve for your subnet. If not, you will need to set an exact subnet mask depending on the number of IP's your subnet has. This can be somewhat complex for someone who has never done it before and I would get your service providers help. They should know all the proper settings. The subnet mask tells the computer which packets are actually going to destinations on the subnet and which ones get forwarded to the gateway address to go outside the subnet.
Our subnet for IP 24/129.134.18 is 255.255.255.252.
The router uses that.

In all PC's config, the IP is the 192.168.x.x and subnet of 255.255.255.0.
The Gateway is the router- 192.168.1.1.

Still need some help! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2002, 12:45 PM   #8
realbinky
Elminster

I would use DHCP off the router, it would provide all the IP info, not just the IP address. Short of that, the hosts.sam file is a sample hosts file. Look in the hosts.sam for an example, modify the hosts. file with no extension. Set any addresses you want to know and the address. You can set more than one thing to an address, just add another line, but I forget the overall format, look in the .sam file.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:36 PM   #9
Steve Blake
Elite Waterdeep Guard

does your IP need DHCP set to on?.. also try removing the power to your modem with the router on.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:09 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

The subnet masks look right to me.

I assume you can get to the webserver on its local IP? Only trying through the internet fails?

Anyway, if you can ping the address, then the good old hosts fix will get it. Format is:

24.129.134.18 www.ironworksforum.com

If you cant then the line

192.168.1.2 www.ironworksforum.com

should let you use the URL to access the server across your LAN.

Those lines should be in a file called "hosts" in c:\windows (c:\[windows/winnt]\drivers\etc on winNT/XP)

Also, sometimes with Cisco routers (never used a Linksys) Ive seen computers pick up rogue class A addresses and screw up routing tables. Running the DOS commands:

ipconfig /release_all
ipconfig /renew_all

Should clear and refresh all the tables.

As for the neverwinter problem, havent a clue. I think the problem with that will be in the router settings though, but beyond that I only have vague notions of what to look for.

[ 12-30-2002, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]