Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Well, for a few weeks we've been narrowing down baby names. We decided a long time ago on a girl's name, but have been working on a boy's name (we find out Monday which one we'll need). Being of at least partly Welsh descent, I want to take a Welsh name. We found a few we like, but I need help with pronounciation. Mouse found me a nice guide, but I am still somewhat unsure. So... Does anyone know the proper pronounciation of "Gweirydd"? I am assuming it to be (hard "g") Gerr idd, but am not certain. Any help would be great.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:25 PM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's close to

Gwerith...

This from paying close attention to Katherine Kerr's pronunciation guide in her Deverry/Westlands novels...she uses quite a bit of Gaelic (sp?) in there.
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Not 100% sure, but I believe the "w" is not entirely silent, therefore......

Gwerr-idd (stress in the first syllable) would be my best bet

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 11-22-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Hiya. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I asked a friend that speaks Welsh (or so he says [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and he said you pronounce it as 'Gwayr-eeth'' (th as in 'this'). Stress on the first syllable.

[ 11-22-2002, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Spelca ]
Old 11-22-2002, 05:42 PM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

A little explanation from the book that DM is using :

" Deverry is a P-Celtic language - although closely related to Welsh, Cornish and Breton, it is by no means identical to any of these actula languages, and should never be taken as such.

DD is the voiced "th" as in thin or breathe - if your using the harsher form (ie The or breath) then you use TH

Y is never a consonant

DW, GW, and TW are single sounds as in Gwendolyn or twit"

So in Deverry speak, it comes out as "Gwerith". How close this is to actual Welsh remains to be discovered. I imagine it won't be too far different.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:47 PM   #6
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Hmm... Now a Welsh friend said it's like 'g-wye-rith'. Hmms... Maybe it's better if you ignore me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2002, 05:48 PM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Sorry, missed a bit more from the book :

"Y as the "i" in machine when long (ie like the "ee" in teeth), and the "e" in butter when short"

So adding that in, in Deveryy speak we get :

Gweirydd = Gwer-eeth

That is fairly close to what the welsh speaking guy suggested.

By the way, I notice our signature has huge ........... tracts of land [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2002, 06:51 PM   #8
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Question Mark

LMAO @ Davros! Someone else well versed in Kerr's works...

Even though she 'made up' the language, I was always of the impression the pronunciations were supposed to reflect the 'real deal'.

If I'm wrong, please forgive me... [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #9
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Thanks everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I was actually hoping my guess had been a bit closer, but...
Sounds a bit... unwieldly... Maybe I'll keep looking. In the meantime, if any of you get confirmation as to the pronounciation, let me know.

[ 11-22-2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]
Old 11-23-2002, 06:40 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
LMAO @ Davros! Someone else well versed in Kerr's works...

Even though she 'made up' the language, I was always of the impression the pronunciations were supposed to reflect the 'real deal'.

If I'm wrong, please forgive me... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hi DM - I agree with you totally - I am also of the impression that the pronunciations reflect the real deal. Obviously though, there are are some inherent differences between the three languages, and I suspect she put in the "rider' clause to prevent a whole bunch of fans arguing over linguistics. What with the guy on the thread asking for exact pronunciation I thought I better include the escape clause in my quotation [img]smile.gif[/img] .

In fact, the only unread book in my whole library is a Katherine Kerr - better makes some time to start that one - it has been towards the bottom of my "new books I have bought to read" pile for a long time , and has at last seen the light of day