Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Light Bulb

Quote:
Story from MSNBC News Services:

Vice President Cheney cursed at Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy during a confrontation on the Senate floor while members were having their annual group picture taken earlier this week, Leahy and Senate sources said Thursday.

The incident occurred on Tuesday in a terse discussion between the two that touched on politics, religion and money, Senate aides with knowledge of the encounter said.

According to aides, Leahy said hello to Cheney following the taking of the Senate group photo on the floor of the chamber.

Cheney, who as vice president is president of the Senate, then ripped into Leahy for the Democratic senator’s criticism this week of alleged war profiteering in Iraq by Halliburton, the oil services company that Cheney once ran.

Leahy and other Democrats have called for congressional hearings into whether the vice president helped the firm win lucrative contracts in Iraq after the U.S.-led war that toppled Saddam Hussein.

During their exchange, Leahy noted that Republicans had accused Democrats of being anti-Catholic because they are opposed to some of President Bush’s anti-abortion judges, the aides said.

Cheney then responded, “f--- off” or “f--- you,” two aides said, both speaking on condition of anonymity.

Leahy, D-Vt., confirmed that the confrontation took place but would not provide details.

“I think he was just having a bad day,” Leahy said. “I was kind of shocked to hear that kind of language on the floor.”

Cheney’s office also wouldn’t go into detail, but confirmed the two men traded remarks.

“That doesn’t sound like language that the vice president would use, but there was a frank exchange of views,” said Kevin Kellems, a spokesman for Cheney.

According to Senate rules, profanity is not permitted in the chamber. But when the exchange occurred between Leahy and Cheney, the Senate was not in session, so there was technically no foul.

© 2004 MSNBC Interactive
[ 06-25-2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 06-25-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
MagiK

I don't know about this particular issue but I know Lehay lied when he said that he was shocked to hear that kind of language on the floor [img]smile.gif[/img] Historicly they have had some quite colorful language in that place when the doors were thought closed [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2004, 09:55 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

What a waste of cursing!

With Cheney's standard deadpan delivery, I'm sure the comment was missing some.. "ommph" . [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

what did leahy expect...

"hi, im trying to get you on trial because im the one who thinks of you as a big cheat, wanna be my friend?"

i probably would have hit the guy for his insolence in trying to buddy up while trying to tear me down. the f-bomb was too light a punishment in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
MagiK

I didn't understand the right wing knee jerk reaction to John Kerry using the F word....and just the same I don't get the big deal about Cheney using it either...its not like anyone has these guys in the senate up on a purity pedastal ya know...

Old 06-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
“That doesn’t sound like language that the vice president would use, but there was a frank exchange of views,” said Kevin Kellems, a spokesman for Cheney.
I just love this statement. Maybe I'll use that the next time someone thinks I'm getting too heated in a debate. I'll just explain that we are having a "frank exchange of views". [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

I don't know about this particular issue but I know Lehay lied when he said that he was shocked to hear that kind of language on the floor [img]smile.gif[/img] Historicly they have had some quite colorful language in that place when the doors were thought closed [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yes, I don't think the f-bomb is worthy of such "shock and awe." [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I'm always surprised about the shallowness with which we judge our public figures. Huge scandals over swear words and a bit of nudity (Janet Jackson), but much more serious offences have about the same or possibly less political consequences (Clinton's lies under oath and B.C. premier Gordon Campbell's drinking and driving in Hawaii).
Old 06-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

Clinton's lies under oath

you bring up bad blood with that one.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:18 PM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
Clinton's lies under oath

you bring up bad blood with that one.
Sorry, won't go on about it. Couldn't think of a better US example off the top of my head. It's not strictly true, either, as he did come pretty close to impeachment. The one that gets me is MY premier's (kind of like a state governor) DUI. He bloody well admitted it, he blew .16 (!) and was weaving all over the place. He didn't resign, but has the nerve to go off about irresponsible young drivers. Excuse me? What kind of example is he setting?

Whoops, I guess that was a rant. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #10
MagiK

Lol Aerich that was funny [img]smile.gif[/img] and if you go off on Rants like that often I think I will like you even if we have opposing views on some issues. I really hope you take my reply in the other thread in the spirit in which it was ment [img]smile.gif[/img]

Rant on Brother! [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Closed Thread