Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-12-2003, 02:54 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

I havent used Mozilla, but netscape was definately very interested in having my AIM details and had a panel on the left with AIM and some other stuff in it. Its probably possible to turn it off though, I never tried since I only installed netscape to make sure my HTML worked properly in other browsers.

And I never said IE was good, just that netscape was worse.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:18 PM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I always liked Netscape 3 and 4.7 but after that, they ruined everything.. Hey! it's about the time AIM was installed with Netscape it started sucking.... HMMMMM AOL did it!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-12-2003, 03:54 PM   #13
esquire
The Magister

Give Mozilla a try. They come out with a new beta every other week it seems and it is just getting better. I'm using 1.2.1 now and it is great. Sure it takes a little longer to start up than IE...but that is because IE is integrated into windows. Best feature of Mozilla has to be "tabbed browsing" if you don't know what that is you gotta try it. You can also block popup ads (prefs: advanced: scripts & plugins --then uncheck "open unrequested windows" Voila, no more popup! That alone is a feature worth ditching IE for

forgot to mention... ditch Netscape, Mozilla uses newer code.

[ 01-12-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: esquire ]
Old 01-12-2003, 03:57 PM   #14
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
I havent used Mozilla, but netscape was definately very interested in having my AIM details and had a panel on the left with AIM and some other stuff in it. Its probably possible to turn it off though, I never tried since I only installed netscape to make sure my HTML worked properly in other browsers.

And I never said IE was good, just that netscape was worse.
In that case go for Mozilla. I use 1.2 as I said and I never even saw any mention of AOL. I immediately got rid of the side-tab which had search options (I only use google anyway). And as has been said, there are nightly builds of Mozilla so bugs are fixed on a daily basis. They have a bug reporting system calle Bugzilla. Anyway someone needs to use other browswers if MS are not to gain total monopoly [img]smile.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-13-2003, 09:31 AM   #15
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I have used netscape for as long as I have been online. I started with Communicator 3.72 and have continued from there. I have tried IE and Opera and Neoplanet. The Opera and Neoplanet are nothing more than a skinned over IE. Which is why they are a small download. I currently use Netscape 7.01 and have had no troubles at all. I have a wireless optical mouse and no troubles with that either. The business about the plugins is true. You go to the Netscape SmartUpdate page. Click on what YOU want and install it. For 7.01 you simply go to the Quicktime, Macromedia and Netscape downloads sites and get your plugins. I have never found any reason to use IE and I doubt I ever will. Maybe if you really tried using it and customizing it, instead of using it for a week and saying... "this sucks it isn't IE!" or "Why don't they do it like IE?" or "I like IE's way better.". I removed all the crap from AIM. I don't use the page tabs or any of the other fancy garbage, by the way, IE has plenty of that stuff too. I also installed a Skin to add some color to my browser. This is obviously a "taste" issue. If you have used IE all this time and don't want to spend the time personallizing and tunning up your browser then stay with IE. My 7.01 is set up nice and clean. Why? Because you don't need all the whistles, bells, kurplankers and geegaws that everyone puts on thier standard downloads. Personally, I wouldn't use IE if my life depended on it. But, thats just my opinion.

P.S. Ziroc your site looks great on 7.01 and it loads faster too!

[ 01-13-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Wulfere ]