Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
Jim
Quintesson

MAY HAVE SOME MINOR SPOILERS, INCLUDING ToB (just covering my a**!)
Having never tried a fighter/druid before (except for having Jaheria in the party) I decided to try and solo one. While it seemed easy enough to create a multiclassed one (due to having the minimums for both a fighter and a druid as well as the minimums for a half-elf etc), I decided that a more powerful character could be created by using a human fighter and dual classing at level 13. Firstly, a dual classed F/D will have more HP than a M/C one (if dualled at the correct stage! - I worked out that a M/C one with 18 CON and 8 million XP would have a total of 153HP, while a dual classed one at fighter level 13 and 18 CON would have a total of 178HP with 8 million XP), as well as having the potential for one extra attack per round through grandmastery. A max XP multiclassed F/D IIRC provides the druid with only 20% elemental resistance instead of the 30% max, so dual classing allows this to be max. The only downside I can see is that the THAC0 for the dual classed character will be approx 5 higher, and there will be no HLA's from the warrior pool.

However, creating one requires that first I create a decent fighter (i.e. 18DEX and 18CON) with true neutral alignment, with a score of 15 in the primary attribute (so STR needs to be at least 15) and scores of 17 in the second classes primary attribute (so WIS and CHA for a druid need to be at least 17). Also, if you want to be able to use protection scrolls and to generally not be treated as a person with "challenged" intelligence, you want at least 10 INT, so what does that leave:

ideally:

15 STR (at least! 18 would be nice)
18 DEX (to maximise AC)
18 CON (to ensure that the first 9D10+CON HP bonus is max)
10 INT (for conversation and protection scrolls)
17 WIS (at least - the minimum this can be)
17 CHA (as above)

so the minimum total ability points for an effective character would be 95 which is surprisingly difficult to roll for a human fighter, and the best would be as above, but with 18/xx STR and 18 WIS, increasing this to 98. Rolling this for a paladin or ranger would be much easier since the minimums for each stat are higher, increasing the overall average for the roll, but with a human fighter, a minimum STR of 9 is all that you get, with the 3 mins for each other attribute causing all the problems.

That's my ranting done then, what are your opinions? Any dual classed fighters/druids out there want to share their thoughts? Or do you think a M/C one is more beneficial?

[ADD] by the way, since druids rely on balance, would taking the evil path through hell have any major side effects, like losing special abilities etc? I know that if paladins or rangers do this, they instantly fall losing their special class abilities....It would make sense for the druid to take half the challenges using the good path, and the other half using the evil path, but the game seems to favour good over evil, so I bet that just taking one evil path in hell would move the alignment of the druid to neutral evil. This is almost forcing the druid to be good which is a tad crap.....[/ADD]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 01:25 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

The paths you take won`t affect the Allignment of your druid at all- only Paladins and Rangers [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:17 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
The paths you take won`t affect the Allignment of your druid at all- only Paladins and Rangers [img]smile.gif[/img]
Minor correction, it will affect the alignment, but not the abilities.

As for the Dualclass option, it is good, but good luck rolling. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I have enough trouble rolling for an ideal Paladin already.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:20 PM   #4
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I just rolled for a new sorceress and her base stats pleased me...
Str-16
Dex-18
Con-18
Int-15
Wis-16
Char-11
I thought that was bloody good seeing as my average fightewr has stats of
Str-18/00
Dex-18
Con-18
Int-8
Wis-3
Char-3
[img]smile.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:28 PM   #5
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Str-16
Dex-18
Con-18
Int-15
Wis-16
Char-11
A 94? That's one of the highest ones I've ever heard of. My 'personal best' is 92...
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #6
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I forgot to mention i was rolling for about 5 hours (maybe an exageration, but that's what it felt like [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 01:15 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Hmm. I wonder if anyone's ever rolled over 100...my personal highest is a 97 for a f/m/c...f/m/cs and f/ds seem to have the highest rolls cuz o' their reqs.

For my dc berserker/druid I rolled a 96,
18 st
18 dex
18 con
8 int
17 wis
17 cha

[ 09-22-2002, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
Old 09-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Str-16
Dex-18
Con-18
Int-15
Wis-16
Char-11
16 STR?!
18 CON!? (useless for a non-fighter, BTW)

Are you rolling for a Sorceress or for a Fighter/Mage?!
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 03:56 PM   #9
Jim
Quintesson

5 hours of rolling! You must be mad! I did it for 2 hours this morning and got bored and decided I couldn't beat my:

STR 15
DEX 17
CON 18
INT 9
WIS 17
CHA 17

roll.

The highest roll I ever got was when I played a chaotic neutral dwarven fighter right from the very first BG until the end of ToB. His stats were awesome. He started with:

STR 18/68
DEX 17
CON 19
INT 18
WIS 10
CHA 15

Which is 97 ability points. After tomes they were:

STR 19
DEX 18
CON 20
INT 19
WIS 13
CHA 16

and after finishing hell (taking the evil path) and using the DoMT and TMoLTM in ToB he ended with:

STR 24
DEX 19
CON 23
INT 20
WIS 13
CHA 17

The word "tank" springs to mind having a total of 116 ability points, without any magical equipment boosting them. These are all natural baby! It just goes to show that if you're patient and are prepared to take the same character through BG1+ToTSC+SoA+ToB you will end up with killer stats.

BTW well done on your moderatorship Dundee and also, what's your local time? You're not usually on the boards at this time! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-22-2002, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Jim ]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 06:24 PM   #10
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

If you have BG1 then you might actually manage it, I have just finished soloing a druid (single class) from BG1 to TOB, and had some great stats. The great thing with BG1 is that it is so much easier to get good stat roll's here are the stats I had for my Druid at the start of BG1

STR 10
DEX 18
CON 18
WIS 18
INT 10
CHR 18

A total score of 92 (not that bad), Now don't forget the Tome's that raise stats.

Thats another +1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 CON, +3 WIS (with totsc), +1 INT and +1 CHR bringing my stats upto

STR 11
DEX 19
CON 19
WIS 21 (I had an Unbelievable amount of spell slots by the end [img]smile.gif[/img] )
INT 11
CHR 18

making a grand total of 100!!

This shows that it isn't impossible to get high enough stats to make your dual, but you will need to play through BG1 first.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote