Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Anyone read any of the "new" Forgotten Realms novels?

Or any other D&D 4E novels? Any of them any use/any good? Recommendations welcome. There seem to be no shortage of new D&D novels being pushed out by WoTC, but I have heard very little about the quality or noteworthiness.

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 07-18-2011 at 04:15 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Default Re: Anyone read any of the "new" Forgotten Realms novels?

read gauntlygrim, it was ok; i just wish elain cunningham would come up with some more stuff.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I thought that was by RAS.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

yea, i thought its setting was in the new universe though since it seems to be occuring after all of his friends died of old age etc.

edit:
gauntlygrim was by RAS, hes not one of my favorite authors - ive only ever thought he was ok.

Elain cunningham however ive always thought was great, but shes not written in the new universe

Last edited by Gabrielles blades; 07-18-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: to edit
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah I been looking at that one on amazon. But I feel the same about RAS - he's okay but nothing amazing.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I kind of lost interest in it all after they destroyed Faerun for 4D. All the characters I was following, the era they were living in - gone!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Me too, but I want to get back into it for better or worse.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielles blades View Post
read gauntlygrim, it was ok; i just wish elain cunningham would come up with some more stuff.

SHE IS!!! She signed a contract to do a 4ED Novel with Eliath and his siblings! And other Elf stuff. Should be awesome.. dunno the date.

Check THIS site for all the latest:

http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books_date.html

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
SHE IS!!! She signed a contract to do a 4ED Novel with Eliath and his siblings! And other Elf stuff. Should be awesome.. dunno the date.

Check THIS site for all the latest:

http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books_date.html
2012 release - nothing more specific

Honor Among Thieves: Tales of Sevrin: Starsingers Book1

http://www.elainecunningham.com/upcoming-releases/

Edit: Honor among Thieves, Tales of Sevrin: Starsingers 1 is already available as an e-book (kindle edition).
September 1, 2011: Honor Bound, Tales of Sevrin, Starsingers Book 2, e-riginal novel
November 1, 2011: Word of Honor, Tales of Sevrin, Starsingers Book 3, e-riginal novel

Not sure if those are going to be released in paperback form or not.

EC also has an upcoming FR novel entitled The Serpents Daughter scheduled for release in 2012. According to the author, the prelude offers a glimpse at the growing magical storm, but it doesn't go into detail about what happens to Evermeet during the Spellplague. It features Azariah Craulnober and is set in Evermeet. THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER is a stand-alone novel, not the beginning of a new series.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 07-21-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I find some of Cunnighams stuff risky. Her Starlight and Shadows books were awesome, until the third one (Windwalker) which was just horrible. The reviews on Amazon echoed my sentiments, many noting a sharp change in her writing style and a lack of experience. It was almost as if she got someone else to write it but planted her name there.

With her earlier two in the S&S series, "Daughter of the Drow" and "Tangled Webs" she proved at least to me, to be far superior to R.A. Salvatore when it comes to handling Drow and the Underdark. She helped the reader to really understand what it was to be a dark elf emerge on the surface - something I felt Salvatore kinda glossed over, and jumped right into the "imma dual wielding ranger drow with kitty lolz".

Just I dunno what happened on the third installment. Maybe her heart wasn't in it.

The same goes for Evermeet: Island of Elves. I bought it years ago knowing how great an author she was, then fell asleep during that thing.