Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #11
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Lost

Well from Episode 2 we are seeing that Dharma have experimented on the Polars before (see the desert dig). I've heard that the "Security System/Smoke Monster" will be explained this season as well as a lot of background info on DHARMA.

Episode 4 reveals another member of the oceanic 6
Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Are we on episode 4 already..? I thought it was 3?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry I must have meant 3
Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #14
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I thought you might have meant that pilot show maybe. I'll probably have to tape it tonight, since having friends over for supper.

...but I really hope we get more answers than all the questions we've been getting lately.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

So looking forward to lost tonight. I have been reading some other forums on lost. There is one really good theory out there that I would like to share with you. By no means did I come up with this.

Ok, first time poster, LONG time reader.

Last night, I think I may have put together something that answers a LOT of questions. If this is the wrong forum, I apologize, please move me.

You'll have to level with me here for a minute, as it's going to seem a bit like a ramble...but with huge payoff (IMO).

Ok. End of S2, the losties have been on the island for nearly 2 months. This is also when Desmond triggers the failsafe. Now, we know that Desmond (according to the old lady in his flashbacks) is SUPPOSED to push the button, he is never meant to hit the failsafe. Did triggering the failsafe actually cause a "bleeding" effect from another reality?

So now for the evidence:

1: Daniel Farraday is crying, but does not know why when they find the wreckage of flight 815. Could it be that in the alternate universe he is actually ON the plane, and it wrecks?

2: The pilot of the boaties recognizes that the captain underwater is NOT who they think it is, because he isnt' wearing a wedding ring. He also notes that he was supposed to be the pilot. In the alternate reality...he IS the pilot. This is his own dead body he is looking at.

3: The scenes with the boaties are wrong. Everyone has assumed that they are flash forwards/flashbacks. But if that's the case, why give us the the name of where they are at. This has never happened before. The reason it's done here is because the scenes aren't flashbacks OR forwards. They are present time of when S2 ended. I guess that TECHNICALLY makes them flashbacks, but still of a different nature.

4: When Miles is at the old lady's home, to talk to her dead grandson, they focus on the pictures on the wall. Twice. At first I thought it was so we could recognize the person in the photos. Upon rewinding, I've found it to be so that we notice the change in frames. Miles goes upstairs, and when he comes back down, the pictures are in different frames. What happened in those five minutes he went upstairs? The "bleeding" effect I was talking about. Why then? Because that was the moment Desmond broke time. (if anyone has screens they can put up of the pictures in frames, thanks).

Where I'm going with this:

Roughly 2 months after 815 is declared "lost", Desmond triggers the failsafe on Island. This creates some sort of temporal rift, allowing two realities to "bleed" into one another. In one reality, 815 crashes onto the island, and there are survivors. In the other, 815 crashes into the ocean, and all die. In one, Farraday AND the pilot are on 815. In the other, the Island still brings them, just by other means.

Discuss: But remember, if you are going to tell me that "time" is not a factor, Desmond has relived moments before, the timeline being wonky is definitely NOT out of the question.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #16
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, we know the time line is messed up now, don't we!?

I still say there are far too many loose ends. Answer a few questions at least. Now, maybe I'm just not the brightest bulb on the tree.
What's with the polar bears and the smoke thing? Is the time shift created artificially and therefore affecting the children..?!?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I forgot about all the children taking in Season 1. I wounder if the time shift as to do with the women un-able to have children?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

I came up with my own theories about time... When the "payload" was delivered onto the island with a rocket, remember what's-his-face comparing the two watches? It reminded me *so* much of Doc and Back To The Future. What if the island exists on some sort of, I don't know, time sink?

That would be a good way to explain Walt's aging... Of course, that's if we're assuming Locke has been seeing the actual Walt, and not the sentinence of the island manifesting as Walt.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I might have missed a bit but Walt's ageing? Is this a recent episode (I think in the US you're an episode ahead, the last one we saw was when Kate went to Locke's place to get Miles...) or have I just missed something?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Shocked Re: Lost

I was right!!! The Island is in a time dilation field. People on the outside feel like DAYS may go by, but inside, they only experience a few mins or hours, not days..

This could also make duplicate versions of the losties... Basically, time split in two, one version of the plane crashed, and all were killed and the plane flew and fell out of the time dilation, while the other version went through, and somehow they were in suspended animation and lived. Just a guess, but they sure are moving in this direction.
And a strong gravitational field can cause this.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Time dilation is the phenomenon whereby an observer finds that another's clock which is physically identical to their own is ticking at a slower rate as measured by their own clock. This is often taken to mean that time has "slowed down" for the other clock, but that is only true in the context of the observer's frame of reference. Locally (i.e., from the perspective of any observer within the same frame of reference, without reference to another frame of reference), time always passes at the same rate. The time dilation phenomenon applies to any process that manifests change over time.

In Albert Einstein's theories of relativity time dilation is manifested in two circumstances:

In special relativity, clocks that are moving with respect to an inertial system of observation are measured to be running slower. This effect is described precisely by the Lorentz transformation.
In general relativity, clocks at lower potentials in a gravitational field — such as in proximity to a planet — are found to be running slower. This gravitational time dilation is only briefly mentioned in this article; see that article (and also gravitational red shift) for a more detailed discussion.

In special relativity, the time dilation effect is reciprocal: as observed from the point of view of any two clocks which are in motion with respect to each other, it will be the other party's clock that is time dilated. (This presumes that the relative motion of both parties is uniform; that is, they do not accelerate with respect to one another during the course of the observations.)

In contrast, gravitational time dilation (as treated in general relativity) is not reciprocal: an observer at the top of a tower will observe that clocks at ground level tick slower, and observers on the ground will agree. Thus gravitational time dilation is agreed upon by all observers, independent of their altitude.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote