Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 10:22 AM   #11
WillowIX
Apophis

Too bad about the computer Mojo. But one thing Packard Bell has done thatīs actually somewhat good is that they collect their drivers at one place. Maybe you can email them about your computer model and if you havenīt exchanged anything in there they probably know what cards was standard for your model. And here are all Packard Bellīs drivers http://www.packardbell.co.uk/support/node201.asp

ps. I love your Shodan sig Trickster

[ 10-15-2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 10-15-2002, 01:47 PM   #12
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by DJG:
No, don't switch to XP!

It is rubbish!

Anyway, you have some seriouis serioduis big problems with that hard drive.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Ive always liked one of the central points of Xp - that its NT with the best bits of 9x added in, and then heavily debugged to boot. Its great - a system hog for sure, but if you have the hardware for it, it is the best OS out there. win98 is better on an older system, and XP dosent recognise legacy stuff very well (I suspect that mojo's mother's modem will not be recognised by XP either) but other than that, XP is better.

Sure, the interface design leave a bit (lot) to be desired, but nothing that cant be fixed in about 10 seconds in the appearance screen.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:11 PM   #13
Thoran
Galvatron

XP is only rubbish if your computer doesn't have the power to run it (very frustrating in those circumstances). On a new system XP is by far the best OS M$ has ever produced.

On my older boxes where XP isn't going to fly I use Linux... runs quite nicely on ancient hardware (Pentium class and early P2 class boxes)

Good Luck Mojo... The Trickster has the right approach... get a list of devices and find the drivers online. And I would suggest you backup the system this time once you have everything installed (or at least save all the drivers somewhere safe). I can pretty much guarantee that you'll be regularly reinstalling that crap OS (I banned Windows 95/98 software from my house years ago... it IS rubbish [img]smile.gif[/img] , and WinME is even WORSE)

[ 10-15-2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 10-15-2002, 02:15 PM   #14
andrewas
Harper

The other thing I like about XP is that its workable at the minimum specification, unlike 98 which is a dog at its minimums. Nothing to do with the OS design, just an indication that M$ were a little more honest this time around.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:37 PM   #15
Mojo
Elminster

Thank you all so much for your help, the problem is sorted now, and my dearest mother is hassling me for the phone line as I type (still dial-up 56k in this part of the world...)

[img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

On that cheery note I shall depart...
Thank you