Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
Mierkos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have this annoying problem. A file called Deep 6 keeps crashing my game. It gets even more annoying when I reload because the "picture window" that shows the location of your party when the game was last saved, appears on the screen and stays there. Ive had to reload the game 2 0r 3 times sometimes to get rid of the bug. Ive considered a rip and reinstall but I like my party and dont want to start from scratch. Any suggestions? Im not sure if this is a glitch in the game or a windows problem. Im running Windows ME (Dont laugh--I know I need to upgrade)
Old 04-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Mierkos!!!

Read through the TECH TIPS thread. W&W was not designed to work with Windows beyond Win98 but there are a number of possible solutions.

Are you running the game in emulation mode??

Tell us more abour your computer (the Tech Tips thread has a good description of the sort of information about your computer that is very useful).

Are you using the patch? (it can help but you loose things as well, check page 4 of the BEST tips thread for what the patch fixes and what it takes away).

I'm not really a techie - hopefully Bungleau or someone else who can really help you with tech problems will be around shortly.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

A warm welcome from me as well. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Hope you get it sorted out. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A quick note from on the road...

Deep6 is actually the W&W program itself. SO the game is crashing.

Review the Tech Tips thread for the section on Win2k and XP. DO the things listed in there, particularly as they relate to...

... virtual memory
... other programs
... defragging
... ermmm... other stuff in there [img]smile.gif[/img] Virtualdub and so on

I'll be back on-line later tonight, and I'll check back in.

*edit* After I posted, I noticed that you're running ME. The things above still apply, even though they're related more to XP. Post back with more details (including specific errors and error messages, if possible), and I'll be back in later.

[ 04-14-2005, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
A Black Falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have WinME. The game runs perfectly... with some things I need to keep in mind. First, no alt-tab compatibility -- alt-tab out and back and the cursor dissapears, making it almost impossible to manage to save and quit. Second, alt-F4 quitting quits instantly... but the music keeps playing. And will continue to until you reboot the computer. Third, if you quit it wrong (that is, any other way than going back to the main menu and manually quitting) that problem you describe -- with the "picture window" appearing in the game after you quit and restart the game -- happens. The only way to solve that problem, just like with the never-stopping music, is to reboot the computer. Once you reboot it should work fine, at least until it exits improperly again...

I don't have crashing, though, so I don't know why that is happening...

Oh yeah, I am running the patch. And "deep6" is the game exe (the file that actually starts the game -- if you're starting from the splash screen, that just will launch deep6)... so that means the game is crashing.

[ 04-14-2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: A Black Falcon ]
A Black Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Marathon
Elminster

I seem to get deep6 messages when I hit certain "spots" in the game - an area in the crypt specifically would always generate one. Do most people see the game crash at least once a night or so? Just curious...
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marathon:
I seem to get deep6 messages when I hit certain "spots" in the game - an area in the crypt specifically would always generate one. Do most people see the game crash at least once a night or so? Just curious...
Not certain about others, but I think I only had the game crash maybe 4 times in all the times I played - was very stable on my old machine. I never used the patch and (knowing to avoid things like the Vampire Ring) didn't have much of any trouble with the game. I know I was lucky.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
Mierkos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the advice everybody. I defragged my hard drive and closed some programs not in use and the game is running much smoother now.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, back online for a bit...

First, those issues are known things about W&W, A Black Falcon. You can't alt-tab from W&W... it just isn't that compatible. And I've never tried alt-F4ing from W&W, so I haven't seen that before. It sounds like what you're facing are just known issues... things we have to live with. Guess this means that you can't play W&W at work [img]smile.gif[/img]

So sorry... there's nothing to be done to fix those things.

And Marathon, can you tell us where it happens in the crypt? It may be something that's fixable, or it may just be another putter-upper [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've had the game crash periodically, but it varies with a lot of things, including the version of Windows (including service pack, where applicable).

Hmmm... looks like I'm 0-for-2 today [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:20 AM   #10
Marathon
Elminster

I'll try to explain my crypt problem, but it isn't as issue anymore as I'm long past it. When you are at the end area of the crypt - in the moat around the 4 chambers that need the gold key to be opened - there is an area that swimming through would would cause a deep6 message. I lost a lot of play time to it once (all the way through the asylum - idiotic to not save), then lost about 10 minutes to it the next time before starting to save every few minutes. Third time I was just testing to see if it would crash and it did. I believe the error was a memory leak, and it occurred if you were on the outer edge of the moat area, close to the passage to where you can find the gold key. If I just hugged the wall on the inside I had no problems. I've had several other crashes, but nothing repeatable like that. XP, unpatched game if it helps. Service pack installed.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote