Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2001, 12:50 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

There are 2 clearly identified bugs in ToB so far. The bugs and solutions are outlined below (courtesy of Mark Darrah, Lead Programmer from Bioware):

Note there are in fact 2 Dialog bugs:
1. X is busy. This is Win2K SP2 ONLY a fix is on the way for this. In the meanwhile the only way around it is to uninstall the Service Pack.
2. No text or incorrect text. This is caused by user created content. Here's a fix. Uninstall TOB. Delete Dialog.tlk. Reinstall TOB.

If you guys find any other solutions or bugs please post them here, so that we can keep all the relevant information to one thread for all of us to use.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 01:05 AM   #2
Ratweed
Manshoon

Thanks for the info
Ratweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 01:12 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's some more detailed info on the Dialogue bug. This bug will occur if you have a third party patch like the Baldurdash English Language Game Text Update OR if you have installed any custom items after May 23rd, your game will have NO dialogue in the dialogue boxes whatsoever.

Here's the way to fix.

It appears that if you either:
- Installed my DIALOG.TLK English Language Game Text Update, or,

- Installed ANY custom items with descriptions (ie .TBG items) after May 23rd

then the DIALOG.TLK in your BG2 folder will have a newer Last Modification date than the one in the Throne Of Bhaal. The Throne Of Bhaal installer will then not overwrite it.

Simple solution: go into your BG2 folder...

If you installed my text update, find DIALOG.TLK.OLD. If it's there, delete DIALOG.TLK, and then rename DIALOG.TLK.OLD to DIALOG.TLK.

If you installed MOD items with descriptions, then rename DIALOG.TLK to anything else (like DIALOG.BAK ... your choice as long as it's not DIALOG.TLK anymore.)

Then install Throne Of Bhaal.

I've already updated the one I'm serving so that the DIALOG.TLK file has a creation/last modification date in 1995. This should be sufficient. I would have preferred the Baroque period (in-joke for Kevin M.) but this will do.

Please advise if this fails to fix the problem.

As always, post more issues and solutions here please, try not to create new threads if possible.

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 08:02 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Important info for people who might be customizing BG2 with custom items and have NOT installed ToB yet.

If your dialog.tlk file has been saved later than 23rd May 2001, ToB will NOT overwrite your dialog.tlk file with its version. This means that if you have modified it in any way, either by implementing any of the Baldurdash text fixes or with custom items (whose descriptions reside in the dialog.tlk file) then when you install ToB you will not have ANY dialogue in dialogue boxes (you won't even have words in the ToB selection buttons).

You can adopt the solutions already described above, or you can go to www.teambg.com and download the ToB dialog.tlk file from there. Ken has generously made it available for people to download.

You can install it on your existing BG2 game (it will work) and any custom items you make will not lose their descriptions when you install ToB. This means you can keep on customizing and not have to worry about stuffing up ToB.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 06-23-2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 12:37 PM   #5
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

You guys are life savers. Big thanks to Bioware too for responding so promptly.

------------------
WAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Draggor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 12:52 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just to let you guys know that a beta patch is available that fixes the bug where NPCs respond with "X appears busy" for Windows 2000 users.

This is only a beta, though, email bginfo@bioware.com if it doesn't work for you.

------------------
Old 06-24-2001, 09:10 AM   #7
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Just wanting to get this clarified. I downloaded the TOB dialog file. Will I need to do anything else in order for TOB to work properly when I get it or is this enough? I have custom items. Will those I've already made now work with TOB or will I have to save them again so they go in the new dialog file?

------------------
WAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Draggor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 10:14 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draggor:
Just wanting to get this clarified. I downloaded the TOB dialog file. Will I need to do anything else in order for TOB to work properly when I get it or is this enough? I have custom items. Will those I've already made now work with TOB or will I have to save them again so they go in the new dialog file?

Custom items you already have will work now and when you install ToB, they will just have no descriptions. Save the descriptions in a notepad file or something and copy them back when you replace your current dialog.tlk file with the ToB one. All custom items you have FROM THAT POINT ON will not lose their descriptions, and you will not have any dialogue issues with ToB.

This will fix any dialog problems you may have. Other possible bugs like slowness, etc, now that's another story. Check to make sure your DirectX drivers are all certified (go to Start, Run and type DXDIAG and hit Enter to find out if they are certified) by going to www.microsoft.com/directx.

Aren't you guys glad that I'm suffering through all this so you don't have to?

------------------
Old 06-24-2001, 02:54 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just to request people not to post ANY spoiler info here, I am linking this thread to a post in the BG2 forum to give people a heads up on the dialogue and other bugs.

------------------
Old 06-25-2001, 01:03 AM   #10
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

SPOILER!!!
>
>
>
>
>>
>
>
>
>
BUMP

------------------

BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote