Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

Once again I'm doing a Website for a school prject, this time a page of links to Tourist information sites in Iceland... very boring and just terribly tedious.
I'm still working on it, some of the items on the page are not even in the right font as I'm using CSS to format it and here at school I only have access to Frontpage... and can't figure out how to use CSS in it.

But if you could look at it see what you think (it is boring I know) and make some suggestions how I can improve it, I'd be most gracious.

Please note that the assignment calls for just one page so I need to cram all this into just one page.
The Picture on the right side is just a holder to keep the tables in place, I'll be adding stuff there soon... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and the link is here

[ 11-27-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Old 11-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You can use notepad to open and work with your .css file sheet.

Below is an example for links in a side navigation as well as the rollover style.

.sidenav-c:hover { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: none ; color: #FFFFFF ; font-weight: bold}
.sidenav-c { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: none ; color: #000000 ; font-weight: bold}

I assume your style sheet is linked properly to your HTML, so open up the HTML eiditer of Front Page and apply style sheet's as follows.

Style for link
<a href="../../test/test.html" class="sidenav-c">My Link</a>

Style for paragraph
<p class="content-text">My paragraph</p>

Style sheet applied in general; for example you need a certain section of a paragraph.
<span class="content-text-special">My Special Text</span>

It is good to know how these things work and the best way to really understand it is to know how to write it from scratch. HTML tools like Dreamweaver or not so great tools like Front Page, certainly speed up the process but eventually something will arise were you will have to actually look in the code to fix it.

[ 11-27-2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-27-2003, 10:46 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Once again I'm doing a Website for a school prject, this time a page of links to Tourist information sites in Iceland... very boring and just terribly tedious.
I'm still working on it, some of the items on the page are not even in the right font as I'm using CSS to format it and here at school I only have access to Frontpage... and can't figure out how to use CSS in it.

But if you could look at it see what you think (it is boring I know) and make some suggestions how I can improve it, I'd be most gracious.

Please note that the assignment calls for just one page so I need to cram all this into just one page.
The Picture on the right side is just a holder to keep the tables in place, I'll be adding stuff there soon... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and the link is here
Personally, I don't like style sheets and do everything the old way with notepad, althought I'll admit IV'e become lazy and like to use Dreamweaver for the basic stuff.

You should change the Font of your Logo and move the image a little more away from the text. Or at least you should resize it so that it don't loose so much quality. Don't forget to give a name to your page, too.

Are the two big blue bars different colors and shape on purpose? Make sure you center your text with them, too. It's closer to the right bar than the left one.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
pritchke

I am not going to be really picky with you page because it is your page.

However I do recommend placing the following in your body tag.

LEFTMARGIN="0" TOPMARGIN="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0"

This will tighten up your page.

There is an advantage and disadvantage to style sheets. The advantage is everyone sees your page as it was meant to be seen. They cannot go into there browser and adjust default font and sizes. Which may throw your page off a little. The disadvantage is well the same thing, some users may be more comfortable reading large fonts so they come to your page and will have a hard time reading the font size because they forgot there glasses, then they try and increase the size from within there browser and the font is still the same size. Style sheets are a judgment call in this regard and takes away the control the user has in viewing your page but this is why I like them.

In your very first table which I believe every thing is in. I would recommend
setting WIDTH="100%" and removing the Height tag all together. This would allow for the removal of the bottom scroll bar on most settings. I believe your design is for 800X600 (Good stuff) but the user sometimes adjust the window with less then that. The bottom scroll bar (evil thing) will stay removed until things start really scrunching up. Height for the main table is not important because it will adjust itself accordingly.

[ 11-27-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-27-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

Thanks guys, I've taken some of your points Pritche and already changed them, I found a computerlab with Dreamweaver thank god, I have to turn it in on monday and don't have time to learn CSS the hard way until later... [img]smile.gif[/img]

and Luvian I'm working on another logo... that one is terrible I know... [img]smile.gif[/img] The bars are a bit of a problem, one of them has a picture as a background and the other should to but the files for the right one were missing when I came to uni this morning, I ftp'd the whole stuff to my server and I'm working on it from there now, I hope the files are still on my computer at home... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

If I were you, I'd probably just delete those bars and put a colored background in those cells.

You can always create a small rectangular cell on top andbotton of the bars and put some pictures with rounded edges, if you want them round. You should ad some text or images in those bas, otherwise they are pretty useless.

If you really want to keep them like they are, you could create a transparent gif and put it instead of the missing image.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #7
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
If I were you, I'd probably just delete those bars and put a colored background in those cells.

You can always create a small rectangular cell on top andbotton of the bars and put some pictures with rounded edges, if you want them round. You should ad some text or images in those bas, otherwise they are pretty useless.

If you really want to keep them like they are, you could create a transparent gif and put it instead of the missing image.
If this is about the image to force table cells a certaint width or height, Luvian is correct. Create a 1 X 1 pixels, transparent gif. (Basically takes up no room). Place it in the table and adjust the length to what you want that column to be. You can than use this one image as a spacer anywhere by adjusting the height or width of it for what you need.

[ 11-27-2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]