Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-07-2001, 01:32 AM   #11
Moni

BK,

You did a wonderful thing for that rose bush! Sorry your landlord had no sense!

I had a similar experience with a ponytail palm tree...my mother gave it to me with four barely alive leaves clinging to life in a tiny pot, wondering why she could not keep it alive. (well, her being evil for one did not help it much LOL) I put it in a bigger pot with frsh fertile soil and it took off! In 5 years time, it had grown to almost 5 feet high. Then I had to move. I gave it to my brother and his wife who are very dear people but right after i moved to Texas, he lost his job and they moved into my mother's house temporarily. The tree was dead within 5 months. I went back to visit for Thankgiving and saw the corpse in its beautiful pot out in my mom's front yard. Talk about nearly crying! I just couldn't believe it!

I am currently in the Southwest/Middle of Texas. The house I live in here has foliage outside that brings awe to the heart and a lump to your throat! I love being able to tend it and watch it flourish! The home was neglected for thirty or more years and it has taken me close to 70 (so far) large lawn bags to remove the dead vines and debris. What lay underneath starving from lack of sunlight has popped out in joyuous celebration of life and will blossom into beauty before too long!

I dug up a large area on the Northeast side of the house where the soil is perfect for planting and bordered it with cut and treated logs to make a flower bed but as of yet have not looked for plants that will thrive there where the sunlight can't reach it after noon. Roses have been suggested and would be a beautiful addtition to that area but don't they need lots of sunlight? I had three beautiful rose bushes in AZ and I don't recall any of them being shaded.

I am promised to be given ivy, wandering jews, honeysuckle and a variety of plants to help me along in beautifying the place and I know the lady will come through with them...I am just not sure where she can put them!

Would love to have a French Lilac but alas, they take so much water to survive and this area is subject to tortorous temperatures mixed with high humidity in the summer!

I also have to convince myself that it will be OK to dig up the only patch of REAL grass on the south/southwest side of the yard where the really beautiful annuals can be planted to accent the ugly area next to it that we want to bury in pavers LOL!

Moni

The Official W&W Ditz

Old 04-07-2001, 01:35 AM   #12
Moni

Draconia, to add, your rose bush that reaches the top of your house must be a wonderful sight to behold!

The.Relic. I am SO sorry!!!
Hugs to you!

Moni

Old 04-07-2001, 01:40 AM   #13
Draconia

Moni-Thank you for sharing. I have never met you before. Welcome.
WOW, that sure sounds beautiful. It also sounds like you have put alot of work into it. That is similiar to what I have done here. The greatest reward is seeing the end result. It is amazing. I have pictured of the mess we had to clean up.
The roses I have are in the shade. They do wonderful in the shade out here. My mother-law can't grow roses but I have never had any trouble.
Good luck with that area you were talking about. I know how hard it is to decide where to put stuff.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-07-2001, 01:44 AM   #14
Draconia

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Draconia, to add, your rose bush that reaches the top of your house must be a wonderful sight to behold!

It sure is. People ask me what I feed it to get it grow that big. I really don't know but that rose bush is only 2 yrs old. But I fear that I am going to have to cut it down some. The poor branches are starting to droop and break and we haven't gotten a trellis up yet. I hope to get one soon before I have to cut it down some.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-07-2001, 01:48 AM   #15
Moni

Draconia,

Thank you! Nice to meet you too! Sorry to intrude into your conversation that way but I just had to talk LOL! I have worked long and hard over the last two months to get this house looking like someone lives here. So hard, I have an extra inch and a half of biceps! (LOL I needed it!)

Encouraging to hear that your roses are shaded! I can't picture anything but roses there in that area and now I guess it is confirmed, roses it is! Wish me luck in keeping them alive and flourishing! I'll thank you in advance lol I have to go to bed now...7 a.m. is going to be here way before I will be ready to face it!

Goodnight and sweet dreams!

Moni

The Official W&W Ditz

Get that trellis ASAP! It would be a such a shame to have to trim it back!
2 years old?!? WOW! You DO have a green thumb!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 04-07-2001).]

Old 04-07-2001, 01:55 AM   #16
Draconia

Moni,
You didn't intrude. You are welcome to join in anytime you want. I hope the roses work out for you. I sure love my roses. I will try to get that trellis soon. I know that I would be really sad to have to cut it down some. I got my green thumb from my mom. Her thumb is greener than mine Well, Goodnight and sweet dreams. I hope you will stop by more often and let me know how things are going with your yard. Take Care and Good Luck with those roses.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-07-2001, 02:17 AM   #17
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Draconia:
Hi LadyRae. I am fine, thanks for asking.
I'm glad. Good to have you back, Draconia. We missed you! Nice to meet'cha, Moni! Welcome aboard!

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 04-07-2001, 02:29 AM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey all! I keep only Rugosas for roses but have a wonderful variety! I love the Therese Bugnet roses the best I think. The flowers open a lilac-pink and turn a pale pink as they age. The stems are a gorgeous red and look stunning against the snow in winter! Next would be a toss up between Topaz Jewel (very golden yellow roses!) and Hansa, a red-purple color. Also have the red and pink grootendorsts , as well as Snow Owl...guess what color it is!

I only just started with the roses two years ago. The wonderful thing about my Rugosas is they are the hardiest troopers I could ask for! No diseases and only aphids for the grootendorsts, which a blast of water from the hose handles.

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-07-2001, 03:13 AM   #19
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Though the new hybrids are certainly eye-candy, I don't think any come even close to the antiques for scent. We have a semi-famous rose garden here in Portland (Washington Park) that has some plantings from decades ago and the scent is like what heaven must be like! There used to be an antique climbing rose, plain little singles, next to where I worked that had a scent to die for! Mmmmmmmmmm, nicest thing I've ever smelt! Unfortunately, when the property was sold, the new owners removed it and planted some flashy teas that had almost no scent at all! *SIGH* Miss my garden... I envy you guys!

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 04-07-2001, 05:09 AM   #20
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Just peeking in to say HI. Good to see you back Draconia! And Moni, glad to meet you. I've seen you posting around and it's wonderful to have another new person join our community! Welcome.

Seeing as how I have a tendency to kill off any green living thing that comes into my presence, no matter how hard I try to nurture it to it's full beauty, I'll leave now.

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
Member of Fast Fourward