Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Inspired (ripping off) Krunchy's thread, how should a Paladin be used in a regular 6 man party? Mutliclass? Singleclass? Race? (Aasimar IMO)
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

IMHO, I think a paladin is best as a tank, with 4 levels of fighter mixed in.

If you want a better spellcaster, a small dip into the paladin class works wonders for a sorcerer or cleric. (divine grace at level 1, immunity to fear at level 2). Combining with a monk is awesome, as is a monk/paladin/ cleric x
Old 11-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Multiclass that fool, and be sure to use a drow! Paladins make nice add-ons to both sorcerer and mage characters (especially sorcerers). Also, the magic-resisting paladin item stacks with a drow's innate resistance, effectively granting spell immunity.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

Oh, there's something to be said for a pure-class paladin. A pally with a good CHA can really pile up the Lay Hands healing. Four levels of fighter are a nice addition to a Pally of Helm, but they're hardly make or break.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

I suggest having at least one FUll paladin class, i have a ASamir paladin and a drow paladin/mage, because you want to boost up your paladin as a tank and for dialogue, make them have good Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimadtion checks, you would be surprised how beneficial they are
Old 12-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar'tanian:
because you want to boost up your paladin as a tank and for dialogue, make them have good Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimadtion checks, you would be surprised how beneficial they are
I'd rather not use paladin for dialogue because of their refuse-reward policy.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Agreed, bards or sorcerer IMO are the main talkers, which leads me to question the usefulness of Pallies, in regards to the need for charisma.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

Pallies are perfectly acceptable talkers, EXCEPT for when you are collecting a reward. Oh, if you're looking for a talker to be good at all of the talking skills, look elsewhere. But otherwise, Pallies are OK.

On another point...

Pure pallies are perfectly playable. Yes, 4 levels of fighter to get full specialization (or whatever it's called) is useful, but hardly make or break.

OTOH, even 1 level of fighter (or any other class) does have one effect on a pally. I'm sure that all of us IWD2 veterans have noticed that pure paladins cannot put on the initiate robes at the Yuan-ti temple, but a multiclassed pally can. I guess that it depends on how you prefer tackling the snake temple.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:16 AM   #9
Ale_beer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Never done the snake temple with a pure pallie. Still I always have a pallie/fighter4 in my party, I love to take advantage of that awesome sword, I prefer Str to cha.

The pallie also makes some quests easier...
Ale_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
Magness
Quintesson

Ale_beer, I've done the "snake temple" with a pure pally. All it really comes down to is you don't have the option of being sneaky. You go in. Baddies see you and go hostile immediately and the hilarity begins.

I think that having too low of a CHA in a pally is really wasting the class. Two of the great reasons for taking lots of pally levels is to get Lay Hands and the Divine Grace ability that adds your CHA bonus to all 3 saves. If you have a rather lowish CHA (say, 14 or less), you are severely limiting the value of these two abilities. (It also impacts the Smite Evil ability, although I've actually never used it.)

Personally, I like to surpress WIS a bit in a pally and use some stat increases to bump it up, while waiting for the All Gods ring that gives +5 to WIS.