Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2002, 10:44 PM   #31
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I think I can tell you all now, from what I know of Cloudy, that having a gun is out of the question for her. Definitely some alternative form of self-defense would be needed.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-27-2002, 10:54 PM   #32
LennonCook
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by nick1979:

Wow that sucks. They just make commiting crimes even eaiser. Why do politicians always side with criminals? Mabye because most are just as bad.

Actually, it makes the penaltied for comitting such crimes far harsher. If you use a gun to attack someone, you are up for charges of:
  • Attempted Murder
  • Carrying a gun without a liscence, OR absuing the privaledges of having one
  • Assault
  • If the victim is of different nationality, they can charge with racism

So lets see... that would be at least 12 years locked up just for waving a Gun about... without the gun theres still Assault, and possible racism. Thats still at least 5 or 6 years... if they actually injure the person, then they can be charged with Bodily Harm, GBH, or ABH... another 4... if the person dies they can be charged with Murder, thats life imprisonment. If they plead insanity, thats still a good 20. And if they get away with it, the police are on the lookout for them, and will get them if they do anything else.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:22 AM   #33
Durwyn
Elminster

Ok okay fine fine, not a gun, but a tazer indeed! And pepper spray sux, it doesnt work most of the time, reasons are simply because the user of the pepper spray misses the target like 99% of the time. But a tazer gun the one that shoots out wires and then runs like 200 volt shock through your body would work very well.

And remember, you can always walk up to someone with a gun, he will claim he will shoot you but you will feel his fear, and come up to him, take his gun and point it at him. Talking from personal experience.. something I've done to a thug here in Brooklyn heh..
Old 01-28-2002, 01:15 AM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
It is always good to know some, even basic, self defence. Martial arts are VERY good for this, as 1. They are legal everywhere, and 2. You always have the correct weapons with you- your hands and feet.

Also, alot of self defence programs teach you how to get out of certain situations, such as being grabbed from behind. The tactics they teach you will usually, if not always, take advantage of weaknesses in a certain position, and it will be impossible for the assailent to have you unable to escape, as guarding against the tacticts would severly weaken the hold. If you know them, then you will be able to escape almost any encounter.

Good point, Lennon. [img]smile.gif[/img] My boyfriend knows several of the martial arts and once taught a self defense class for women.. think I'll ask for some private lessons when he gets out here!

I know that it's something we don't like to think of, but after that scare in the elevator I will admit that I've had a few other situations over the years where I'd have felt MUCH more confident or safe if I had know the basics of personal safety precautions.

Cloudy
Old 01-28-2002, 01:20 AM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

My wife and I have read all of your posts together, and she has brought up an interesting question. Some women, herself included, tend to lose their voice in "extreme situations", thus being unable to scream.

What are your suggestions for those that have this problem???

Carry a loud whistle! I remember at the university they gave them out after we had a rape on campus. Just wear it or keep it on a keychain and in situations where you might be alone or approached, blow it as loudly and long as you can!

Cloudy
Old 01-28-2002, 01:24 AM   #36
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Scronan, great post! I'll try to discuss it more later.. it's waaaaaaay past my bedtime!

And everyone, Sazzie is right! I am not likely to ever carry a gun of any sort. Ask my bf... [img]tongue.gif[/img] He and I have discussed it a few times. I couldn't do it. But there ARE some things you can do that aren't necessarily martial arts, but are self defense moves. At least I'm told there are. [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe I'll ask him to post here if he gets some time.

Cloudy
Old 01-28-2002, 03:48 AM   #37
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:

I'd recommend learning self defense to getting a gun.

Depends on your nature Neb. Personally, I do both. I've spent a lot of years in martial arts, and been in some unpleasent situations. And, I have a concealed weapons permit and carry a handgun. I've only ever had to pull it once, and fortunately, I didn't have to fire it, but I learned something about myself that day. I had the gun out, cocked, and ready to fire, and I had about half the necessary pressure on the trigger. I could have, and would have, shot. Fortunately, like I said, I didn't have to.

But, no matter how much martial arts you know, or how big of a gun you carry, or how many books you've read, the most important thing in surviving a bad encounter is TRAINING. You have to *react* properly, and the best way to do that is to train it in. Why do you think Military combat training is so intense. You have to react, not think. If you overthink, you tend to freeze. Fortunately, Cloudy made all the right preventative moves, and it saved her. But, if she had actually been attacked, could she have effectively fought back? I for one certainly hope so. I'm kind of fond of her. But she and we, will never know. And hopefully, she, and we, will never have to.

BTW...a huge [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] for you Angeleyes. I'm glad you're all right. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 01-28-2002, 03:54 AM   #38
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

My wife and I have read all of your posts together, and she has brought up an interesting question. Some women, herself included, tend to lose their voice in "extreme situations", thus being unable to scream.

What are your suggestions for those that have this problem???

I'd recommend something called a screamer. Its a little electronic device you can attach to a keychain. If you are attacked, you break a tab and it cuts loose with several hundred decibels. In some cases its been known to cause attackers to freak out so bad they've passed out.

Either that, or a handgun, again depending on your personal comfort levels.

Old 01-28-2002, 03:58 AM   #39
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I think I can tell you all now, from what I know of Cloudy, that having a gun is out of the question for her. Definitely some alternative form of self-defense would be needed.

-Sazerac

Yeppers, I agree. And, I've already volunteered to teach her some of the nastier forms of interpersonal mayhem when I move out there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nobody messes with my Cloudy!

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Nachtrafe ]

Old 01-28-2002, 04:10 AM   #40
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Scronan, great post! I'll try to discuss it more later.. it's waaaaaaay past my bedtime!

And everyone, Sazzie is right! I am not likely to ever carry a gun of any sort. Ask my bf... [img]tongue.gif[/img] He and I have discussed it a few times. I couldn't do it. But there ARE some things you can do that aren't necessarily martial arts, but are self defense moves. At least I'm told there are. [img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe I'll ask him to post here if he gets some time.

Cloudy

What she said. Awesome post Scronan. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes, I have been in MA for a long time. And really, for the untrained, a boot to the nuts/crotch(trust me, it works on women as well, they have more nerves there than us guys) works wonders. For anything beyond that though, you really need something a bit mroe formal. Its hard to demonstrate getting out of a choke hold or an arm bar on a forum. [img]smile.gif[/img] I highly recommend taking a self-defense course at your local YMCA/Gym. Look for one that teaches no-nonsense survival, as well as one that works on your attitude. As both Mel and Scronan so excellently pointed out, the main thing that saves you in conflict situations is attitude. That, and awareness. Try to be aware of what's going on around you at all times. Be a little paranoid. Hey, if it saves your life, then its not paranoia, its common sense. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, one more thing. If you have absolutely no other weapon, Mel's suggestion about the keys is spot on. Most of us carry a lot of keys(house, car, locker, office, desk, garage, etc) and the weight adds up. Hold them in your fist, leave one or two poking out between your fingers. Trust me, you punch someone like that, and they *will* feel it. Unfortuantely, I have had to deal with that situation too. And one shot was all it took. Plus, since I hit the guy in the face, it made identifying him for the police rather easy. Mark one scumbag off the streets. [img]smile.gif[/img]