Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
goe2112
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm having a hard time killing the two armored skeletons outside the Wyrm's
Tooth door. Three of my characters usually get killed before I can kill one.
All my players are useing magic weapons but cannot kill them quicky. Do the weapons need to be a certain + factor? Do I need to cast certain spells?
All inputs are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
goe2112
goe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Those guys can be tough. I believe blunt weapons work best. You will need to buff, cast haste and other such spells. Cast summons to help and concentrate on one at a time. Those sentry's hit hard so when one fighter gets low on health have him retreat to heal.

It would be nice to know what you have in your party.

[ 01-26-2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

It's been a while, but I vaguely remember running past them
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

If you have a cleric, Turn Undead and/or cast Undead Ward. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Those guys aren't armoured skeletons, or any sort of undead, if I'm correct about the part you're at. The Hall of Heroes, right? The dwarven tombs? Anti-undead strategies won't work against those Bronze Sentries - they are golem-type constructs.

These things are NASTY.

There are some tips here and at the end of this topic. There is also some discussion of their resistances.

Additionally, I find it vital not to charge into these guys and just start swinging. Use one character to draw them (hopefully one at a time) toward your party - and have plenty of summons in front of your party. Once it attacks the summons, send your fighters in to attack it - hopefully it won't switch targets. Don't be afraid to summon more creatures as the first ones get killed.

The Sentries are immune to most enchanted missiles, so don't even bother shooting them - try some single-target damaging spells that have stunning side effects - Icelance, Chromatic Orb, and the like. Magical Stone and Alicorn Lance also do decent damage if they manage to pass the magic resistance. Also cast some spells - Curse, Prayer, Recitation - that hurt their saving throws.

Bludgeoning weapons do the best damage against these enemies - and all the better if they have a secondary attack for extra damage or stun effects.

You may wish to rest right before meeting the sentries - they are entirely capable of standing up under everything in your spell repertoire while taking out your best fighters, as you've found out.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

goe2112,

How many Warrior types do you have, and what are their stats/equipment?

To expound on the excellent advice already given:

1.) Get summons between you and them, and keep replenishing the summons.
2.) Focus on one target at a time.
3.) Buff. Don't forget goodies like Haste (only if you REALLY need it), Slow, Improved Invisibility (with a residual +4 AC bonus after the character becomes visible), Recitation, Prayer, and Chant.
4.) If necessary, tailor your spell mix for this fight and then go rest.
5.) If one of your party is targeted, run the targeted character and whack away with the non-targeted.
6.) I believe Skull Trap works on these guys.

This fight is nice practice for a tougher fight later in the game.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

One question/correction, NobleNick.

Does one actually get the Improved Invisibility bonus against Sentries? They can see stealthed characters as well as ones that are invisible via potion or the 2nd lvl spell. I believe they can see through all Illusion-type spells. I sent a Mirror Imaged fighter/mage in against them, and the sentries took him to pieces without knocking down the Images first.