Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 09:35 PM   #1
Baldrik Ironshield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I want to try my first solo and was wondering what class and race everyone thinks is the best for the first timer?
Baldrik Ironshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 PM   #2
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Probably Monk. Their high MR helps in fighting mages when you don't have any prot spells to cast, but they have more HP than a mage and are good at melee. A bard is also a good choice because they are everything rolled up into one. Fighter/mages work too.
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Jeffi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:44 PM   #3
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well My first time I played a Barbarian. And this is pretty easy with high HP and fast movement rate he is a killing Machine you shoulds also go with a half-orc race to Max out in the stats you really need to max out. And the Bararian rage has many protection qualties that are needed to solo with.

And welcome to the board I hope you enjoy your stay. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 09-04-2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Mack_Attack ]
Old 09-04-2002, 09:47 PM   #4
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Trouble is the barbarian is easy pickings for a mage... You'll have to rely on enchanted weapons to give you magic protection. High HP doesn't matter when you start Finger of Deaths, PW:S, Imprisonments, Hold Persons, etc thrown at you.
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Jeffi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:05 PM   #5
BlackJack21
The Magister

Well most people agree that the easy class to solo is the sorceror. To do this though you need to know the spell system pretty well. If you mess up your spell list then you will not have much fun. Dundee has a great spell list that you can check out on his sig.
BlackJack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 11:07 PM   #6
DrowChow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree, a sorceror would be my first choice, but I did always wanna try a bard. Like they said though, for a sorceror, you need to know the spell system well.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:35 AM   #7
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by DrowChow:
I agree, a sorceror would be my first choice, but I did always wanna try a bard. Like they said though, for a sorceror, you need to know the spell system well.
You could always do what i did and solo a mage... then you get to see what spells are really good, which ones are rubbish ect... it only took me about a week and a half to do it.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Generally... the best class to solo with, is the class that you are most comfortable with.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:35 PM   #9
Zed the undead4321
Dungeon Master

i think the thief. you get tons of $$$
Zed the undead4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:20 PM   #10
Thuram
Dungeon Master

If you solo you will get tons of xp anyway. I agree, best play what makes most fun to you.

I just finished soling with a Bounty Hunter / Mage. His traps are the best. In many tough battles (e.g. Staff of Magi, Kangaxx related liches, Dragons) you have time enough to lay out your traps before you have to fight them. Apparently the traps ignore magic resistance and if you think you haven't laid out enough of them, you can just go to sleep ...

I am planning to play a Monk now. I am wondering how I can kill Kangaxx the demi lich with him in solo. I believe his Impisonment spell ignores magic resistance. Any idea???
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote