Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 06-24-2002, 11:41 AM   #1
Silver
Dungeon Master

All right..I found this a little weird. My first time through the game I picked up Aerie and other than her kept all the party members (except for when Yoshimo ditched me of course), cycling in a few of the other good NPCs as I came in contact with them. I played a male and was being nice to both Jaheira and Aerie at the same time..of course they started fighting with each other and made me pick one of them. I picked Jaheira..Aerie was just too pathetic to put up with too much longer. After that everything seemed fine and I went on with my quests, but about a week or so game time after that Aerie starts a conversation with Jaheira that starts with "Your..your hair looks really pretty in this light Jaheira." or something like that. Of course Jaheria went into one of those drawn out rants about romantic notions and shut Aerie up, but it made me wonder. I started a new game, with a female character and attempted to recreate my previous game to see if Aerie would maybe swing both ways. The only difference from playing a female was that Aerie started her conversation a lot faster..right after I had freed her from the enchantment and beaten the room of werewolves and shadows she started the same conversation with Jaheira with Jaheira giving the same response. Aerie continued to show no interest in my character except for a few dialogues where she pretty much just needed to be told that she wasn't worthless and all that. She also flirted with Minsc, Haer, and Cernd freely, but that's just my count sofar. I've checked over the boards a bit and haven't noticed anyone else saying the same..at least with the Jaheira/Aerie dialogue. I guess the BG2 crew didn't think the gaming industry was ready for same sex couples..Anyone else notice the same thing?
\"Good hips, breed like cow, strong like ox. Hitch to plow when horse dies.\"-Kethry.<br /><br />\"I keep looking, but I runnings out of recipes soon. Needs to find Martha, soon. She around hell somewhere, I thinks.\"-Cespenar
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:59 AM   #2
ronan
The Magister

I am not entirely sure that Jaheira means romantic notions in a relationship sense. I think it is meant to illustrate that Jaheira is a little disillusioned after Khalid's death and that Aerie is annoying her. Although if anyone has any evidence to explain otherwise by all means fuel the minds of teenage boys everywhere and let everyone know.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:48 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

as far as same sex romances in BG2 check out galadria's Imoen same sex romance thread.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:30 PM   #4
Witchhunter
The Magister

I don't think Aerie swings both ways. Girls can compliment each others looks or dress, without being gay. I guess guys can too, but it will get people thinking thats for sure. I think that the creators have let out any hints of homosexuality as it is a tricky issue, and would result in a lot of controversy.
\"Achievement is for senators and scholars. At one time I had ambitions but I had them removed by a doctor in Buffalo. It started as cyst, it grew under my arm and I had to have new shirts made, it was awful. But I have them in a jar at home now.\" <br />-Tom Waits
Witchhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:44 PM   #5
jcompton
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Witchhunter:
I don't think Aerie swings both ways. Girls can compliment each others looks or dress, without being gay. I guess guys can too, but it will get people thinking thats for sure. I think that the creators have let out any hints of homosexuality as it is a tricky issue, and would result in a lot of controversy.
Actually, more than one NPC implies that they think Valygar is gay.

But no, Aerie was not hitting on Jaheira. She was fishing for a compliment and Jaheira rebuffed her and chided her for being distracted and distracting.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:18 PM   #6
ronan
The Magister

I've always thought irenicus had a sort of swings both ways/dungeon dwelling/troll snogging sort of thing going on. All this obsession with power?
Old 06-25-2002, 02:36 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
as far as same sex romances in BG2 check out galadria's Imoen same sex romance thread.
Well, yes, but that's a 3rd party mod they're working on (it's in the ToB forum, BTW, if anyone wishes to check it out).

There's also the Solaufein romance mod, which allows for "two-way" romancing. Again, a 3rd-party WeiDu mod.

As Witchhunter said, I doubt very seriously that Bioware could have endorsed any "same-sex romance" mod officially and gotten away with it; too much public outcry.

One last thing: please do keep this discussion to within PG-13 terms, ok? No problems so far; just a reminder.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:06 PM   #8
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
Well, yes, but that's a 3rd party mod they're working on (it's in the ToB forum, BTW, if anyone wishes to check it out).

There's also the Solaufein romance mod, which allows for "two-way" romancing. Again, a 3rd-party WeiDu mod.

As Witchhunter said, I doubt very seriously that Bioware could have endorsed any "same-sex romance" mod officially and gotten away with it; too much public outcry.

One last thing: please do keep this discussion to within PG-13 terms, ok? No problems so far; just a reminder.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
[/QUOTE]Are there any unoffical romance mods that are actually completed because all I have seen is talk about the romance mods in progress. Are there any links I can have a look at? Especially for Female-PC (Female Bhallspawn) character, because the Anomen romance is the only one!

Thank you very much!
DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:15 PM   #9
jcompton
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by DJG:
Are there any unoffical romance mods that are actually completed because all I have seen is talk about the romance mods in progress. Are there any links I can have a look at? Especially for Female-PC (Female Bhallspawn) character, because the Anomen romance is the only one!

Thank you very much!
Yes, there are four new NPC mods completed, two of which offer a romance to a female PC.

Kelsey (male human sorcerer NPC, romances female human/elf/half-elf/halfling)
http://www.forgottenwars.net/kelsey

Solaufein (male drow fighter/mage, romances anybody)
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~weimer/bgate

And the other two:

Valen (female vampire fighter/thief, no romance)

Tashia (female elven sorcerer, romances male PCs)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/sentinelsx/
Old 06-27-2002, 12:23 PM   #10
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by jcompton:
quote:
Originally posted by DJG:
Are there any unoffical romance mods that are actually completed because all I have seen is talk about the romance mods in progress. Are there any links I can have a look at? Especially for Female-PC (Female Bhallspawn) character, because the Anomen romance is the only one!

Thank you very much!
Yes, there are four new NPC mods completed, two of which offer a romance to a female PC.

Kelsey (male human sorcerer NPC, romances female human/elf/half-elf/halfling)
http://www.forgottenwars.net/kelsey

Solaufein (male drow fighter/mage, romances anybody)

And the other two:

Valen (female vampire fighter/thief, no romance)

Tashia (female elven sorcerer, romances male PCs)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/sentinelsx/
[/QUOTE]Bit of advertising for Kelesy there, eh?
I found that mod really damn good...gratz!
Maybe you could make another?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote