Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 01:24 PM   #11
ronan
The Magister

Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) is an absolute legend and can also be seen in Black Hawk Down but his best work was reserved for his role as Frank in Civies.
On the subject of character development, these charcters are all 13/14. Are they not meant to be shallow, isn't that what makes them teenagers?
Old 11-19-2002, 02:17 PM   #12
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by ronan:
Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) is an absolute legend and can also be seen in Black Hawk Down but his best work was reserved for his role as Frank in Civies.
On the subject of character development, these charcters are all 13/14. Are they not meant to be shallow, isn't that what makes them teenagers?
Good point. I didn't going into the movie expecting super deep characters, and in fact I was pleasantly surprised by some of the "filling out" the characters did, particularly Ron. The Weasley home scene was filled with fun for all. Fantastic gadgets for the kids, and funny domestic interactions for the adults. When Mom told Dad about the little car excursion and he said "How'd it go" enthusiastically, every Dad in the theater laughed, and every Mom rolled their eyes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:54 PM   #13
Gammit
Elminster

If you thought that there wasn't a lack of character depth in the movie, then read the book (if you haven't). You may be in for a huge shock.
I think I understand why they left so much of it out (for pacing purposes, and 'cause kids like the action more), but still... I even looked around the theater at different points. Whenver there was action, everybody was staring at the screen. Whenver something pivotal happened in the plot or to a character, everybody eyed their popcorn. What a bummer... these people loved the flashing lights, but were bored at the story? Anyhow, just my opinion. They can't make everyone happy, now can they? (:

Honestly, for those who haven't read the book, the CoS movie's lack of story/character depth was to the book, as this is to the entire Baldur's Gate storyline:

There was this child of a god... He felt did cool things, and met people
(big fight scene... millions spent on special FX)
"I wonder what will happen next." -main character
(special fx scene)
"I think we're nearing the end!" -main character
(big end scene)

p.s. there were other characters that did stuff too help/hinder the protagonist too.

grammar fix

[ 11-19-2002, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Gammit ]
Old 11-19-2002, 05:10 PM   #14
Thoran
Galvatron

Well if you want to create a kids movie... you have to maintain a certain level of simplicity. We've got all the books but I've purposefully avoided reading them for exactly this reason, I want to enjoy the movies for what they ARE... which is great family entertainment, without having an unatainable image of the books perfectly rendered (like I do with LOTR).
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:39 PM   #15
Gammit
Elminster

Good point, Thoran... maybe I just expected less of a kids movie. Ok, I'll stop ranting.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:06 PM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Okay, I just saw it...the only problem I had was with Moaning Myrtal. She was clearly faking it alot. I wish she'd have been more realisticaly sobbing and moaning.

As for the spider scene...My wife was screaming her head off! I was pretty freaked too! Even moreso than with the Basilisk.

I wonder who will play Harry's Godfather ?

Oh...by the way, read this: </font> New Producer for next movie??
Old 11-20-2002, 08:22 AM   #17
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I also hated Moaning Myrtle... In the books I pictured her as a sad, chubby young girl. In the movie she was older and thinner than I expected and she was incredibly annoying. The way she was moaning was sooooo irritating. I disliked her enough that it lessened my appreciation of the film as a whole. Just knowing that she'll be back in the future makes me cringe...
Old 11-20-2002, 05:08 PM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Oh damn! I just now read on a movie forum that there is a secret scene at the end, after the credits role! Will somebody please tell me what it was??? You can PM me, if it is a spoiler.</font>
Old 11-21-2002, 06:25 AM   #19
ronan
The Magister

No biggee, it is a shot of a bookshop with Lockhart's new book in the window. It's called something like 'Who Am I?'
Old 11-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #20
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>ROFL!!! That's a pretty good end! I hope it'll be on the DVD.</font>
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote