Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-15-2001, 03:20 PM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I just had something really wierd happen - twice! Content of question may have SPOILER info in it, so don't look if you are not past chapter 5 yet.
POSSIBLE SPOILER INFO
Phaedra wanted a Beholder killed in the city, so we killed it. Afterwards, Aerie had a neutral blue ring under her and did not respond. So I reloaded and did it again. This time Valygar was the blue one. Reloaded again, and no-one went blue. Is it a bug, or am I MEANT to have this happen, and it was a bug when it didn't? Please advise, 'cos I worry about these little blips!
Thanks! )
F.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:37 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

I think the beholder petrified them. Where they grey and wouldn't they respond when you tried talking to them? This means they where petrified. You can cast protection from petrification to prevent it, or Stone to Flesh to repair the damage.

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-15-2001, 03:43 PM   #3
Dramnek_Ulk

if they do get petrified there is a 1st level mage spell, PROTECTION FROM PETRIFICATION which will stop them being turned to stone.

------------------

The most Holy and Divine Godly and Wise Noble and Kind Knights of the Ever burning Flame Imperishable of Eternal Hope and Faith from which all Life will find its Perfect Gleaming Shining Defense Force of honour and Righteous Justice

[This message has been edited by Dramnek_Ulk (edited 03-15-2001).]

Old 03-15-2001, 03:47 PM   #4
Fljotsdale

No, it wasn't that. You still have 'em in your team, if that happens, with the petrify symbol on the portrait. They just dropped out of the team - no portrait, no inventory, nothing - and stood there with a blue circle under 'em like they had nothing to do with me at all!
However, I conclude from your reply that it was a bug of some sort, so I shall continue and hope it doesn't happen again!
Thanks.
F.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:54 PM   #5
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

No, they really were petrified. The exact same thing happened to me. They dropped out of the party and everything.

If you use Stone to Flesh, they will start moving again and you can initiate dialogue. The NPC will say something like, "Did you wish me to join you?" or some other unimportant line. You can then accept them into your party and continue as if nothing happened.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:00 PM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Fljotsdale: No, it wasn't that. You still have 'em in your team, if that happens, with the petrify symbol on the portrait.
The reverend Father is correct, I'm afraid. They *were* petrified. When a char is turned to stone, he/she'll immediately be put out of your party. really annoying. Even more annoying though:
Quote:
Father Bronze: If you use Stone to Flesh, they will start moving again and you can initiate dialogue. The NPC will say something like, "Did you wish me to join you?" or some other unimportant line. You can then accept them into your party and continue as if nothing happened.
That's only true for some characters. Others. like Jaheira, will not ask if you really want them to leave, but they'll be so pissed that you "put them out" that they'll just tell you where to find them and walk away!!! This is SOOOO STOOPID!!! It happened to me again and again while fighting the beholders in the Underdark and it's totally unrealistic. Imagine Jaheira huffily saying: I'm going back to the Harper Hold while standing in the bl**dy Underdark! There should be a dialogue option saying: No you were petrified please don't leave!

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-15-2001, 04:02 PM   #7
Fljotsdale

Thanks! But why has this not happened before when they got petrified? Any Idea? I cleared out the Beholder city and got petrified team members more than once, but they always stayed on the team. And this one wasn't a particularly strong Beholder - killed it easy-peasy with +3 drow weapons and only fired one spell! In fact
.Maybe Spoil
.I suspect it wasn't a Beholder at all! No doubt I shall find out soon enough!
F.
Old 03-15-2001, 04:10 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

F., it really IS impossible to get petrified and still be in the party, trust me on this! I don't know what you thought you saw, but it must have been something else, really!!!

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-15-2001, 04:57 PM   #9
Fljotsdale

OK. I accept that. After all, you have played it longer than I have So - what do the three pink bars (III) on the portrait mean? It sure immobilises people! I've had a quick check in the Manual, but haven't spotted it. Yes, I KNOW I should have checked the on-screen info while they were stuck, but I was too busy fighting, lol!
f.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:00 PM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

The three bars means the person has been held (i.e. someone cast Hold Person on them). No problem btw, there's such an incredible amount of spells in the game, you just can't know them all... good luck with your game

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia