Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-09-2001, 12:36 PM   #41
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Strange people huh. I went into my local D&D shop and asked for a bible, you shoulda seen the looks I got........like I was a dreaded christian or something.

ROTFL...exactly! LOL...I don't ask for jewelry at the butcher's either! LOL
...er I could, but he's a married man! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

Er, sorry, blame it on Charlie's influence on me... hehehe

CB

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-09-2001, 12:37 PM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Strange people huh. I went into my local D&D shop and asked for a bible, you shoulda seen the looks I got........like I was a dreaded christian or something.

Charlie you are priceless. Good material. Such wisdom in so few words.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-09-2001, 12:49 PM   #43
Absynthe

Charlie!!!!!! ROTFL! Man, you did it again!

Old 04-09-2001, 12:57 PM   #44
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Absynthe, I get to use one of my favorite quotes from one of our Wisest Sages:

Quote:
Originally said by Bart Simpson
God Bless the little Pagans.

Now for me: Grew up in a Christian Home, Family went to the same church on my Father's Side for the past four Generations. Religion is a very important Choice made by each person in our family. After we go threw Cathecism and is recognized by our church as 'Adults' (age 13) the choice as to whether or not we got to church is up to us individually. Dad and Mom leave at 8:30 AM, if you aren't there and you want to go, better find a ride elsewhere.

The point is, it was my choice. No pressure. And here is my choice:

I think it is up to each one of us as to whether or not we believe in some greater thing. Allah, Budda, Shiva, Jesus, God, etc. Or whether we believe in Science. And then there is a further choice of going to commune with others of same belief. Do you need to have some Person stand in front and lead you in Worship/meditation/personal retreat, or can one do it by themselves. Finally, there is the choice as to how one should live your life. Do you try to pound your beliefs into others to 'save' them, or do you respect their choices and try to learn from them as to why they belief what they do. Or do you try to lead by living your life as an example for your friends/family/neighbors.

I've made my choices as to what I do or do not believe in. I believe that my choices are my business, as are yours. I have a lot of respect for anyone who chooses to make their beliefs know. If they are truely Witnessing and not trying to impress someone with their beliefs or trying to 'help' someone, like the notes to Absynthe. I think overzelous types like that do more harm in the world than all of the people they are trying to 'help' would ever do.

Since other's have shared their choices, I feel I should too. I am a Christian Man. Do I have any proof, no. That's why it is called Faith.

Here is the real kicker, though. Do I feel that if you don't belief what I do, you are wrong? NO! That is your choice. I respect it, and I want to learn from your choice.

Thanks for Reading, and I look forward to reading any responses for or against.

Henry
Old 04-09-2001, 12:57 PM   #45
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hey thanks for your words too Absynthe

------------------

Old 04-09-2001, 01:58 PM   #46
Absynthe

Black Knight (Henry),
It is this sort of intelligent discourse that is the foundation of a healthy society. I note with great sorrow how it is missing from so many public forums.
It seems that the larger the group involved, the less intelligently the cases are presented. perhaps it's because religion is such a personal issue that we can best appreciate others' views in a one-on-one encounter.
My respect for the members of this forum grows daily, I have encountered some of the most insightful and compassionate people I have ever met right here. I would like to stress that I have no hard feelings towards ANY religious group whatsoever: what has happened to me has less to do with religion than it does with simply being different. The nail that sticks out gets hammered down, something I'm sure we have all experienced.
For any one person to say that their take on reality is more correct, or insightful, or chocolatey-flavored than someone else's seems wrong to me. We all experience the world a bit differently, and there is so much to be gained from sharing our insights that it is a shame that some people can't do that without trying to beat someone else down.
Yorick, for what it's worth, i don't think of you as "that Christian", rather, I think of you as "That incredibly talented, intelligent, nice guy with the voice of an angel".
Having just re-read my post, I find that I've got Cloudy-itis....(I'm rambling)
-Rick

Old 04-09-2001, 02:03 PM   #47
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Awwwww Absynthe That's very kind of you mate.

------------------

Old 04-09-2001, 02:22 PM   #48
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Yep, I've gotten it too. I think that everyone who has played d&d for a while comes up against someone who is too small minded and ignorant of life to form an educated opinion. They hear something from one of their similarly fanatic and narrow minded friends and without finding anything out for themselves, or making an attempt to understand it, regurgitate their idiotic shit on the millions of creative and upstanding individuals who play d&d or similar rpg's. I pity these people their intelligence and proceed to forget they exist. The only thing that they bring to our world is disagreement and problems in the name of God.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 04-09-2001, 02:46 PM   #49
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Sweet Moridin... then I pray you have a long and lingering death... (you are really baiting me today, Moridin! What is in the coffee out your way!? LOL )

CB--I hope you know that I truly respect you and only think good things about you! I respect your opinions and beliefs and absolutely never intend to harm you or show any disrespect in any of my posts. I think the reason I choose to use your examples is b/c you do post the most often and therefore examples that use you as the source will be the most 'understandable' to other people reading them.

You are kind, sweet, and very generous and I hope that you will not look upon me as an 'evil' person b/c of some of my posts

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-09-2001, 03:13 PM   #50
Absynthe

Moridin, I may be talking out of turn, but I don't think you need to worry about CloudBringer misinterpreting your meaning. She has a pretty high degree of empathy and understanding and seemingly an open enough mind to accept other people as they are.
On the other hand, she's such a sweetie that you'd hate to hurt her unintentionally. I seem to be running off at the keyboard today....