Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2001, 11:19 AM   #31
Donut (Son of Donut)

Charlie

I dimly remember owning an Intellivision console and I remember the Dungeons & Dragons game. I recall that you could fire an arrow along a tunnel in the hope that an enemy was there but if it hit a flat wall it rebounded and killed you. I also had a Spectrum game of 'The Hobbit'. These games were so basic but at the time seemed state of the art.

Old 02-01-2001, 11:26 AM   #32
Jon the Hell Caster

the RPG that got me hooked was Dagerfall even though it is a CPRG, then I hit upon BGII one day when going to Compusa I happened to have my eye fall on a Pc Gamer magazine.......

Old 02-01-2001, 11:26 AM   #33
Jon the Hell Caster

the RPG that got me hooked was Dagerfall even though it is a CPRG, then I hit upon BGII one day when going to Compusa I happened to have my eye fall on a Pc Gamer magazine.......

Old 02-01-2001, 11:37 AM   #34
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons around 20 years ago (boy that seems a long time). I played on and off with friends and family (my brother) until I started college. When I got a real job, I couldn't find the time, nor the people to game with. I got into playing Collectible Card Games (Magic: The Gathering) for several years until I decided that it took too much time away from family -- travelling the region going to tournaments. I got into computer games with Age of Empires, preferring strategy over role-playing. When I read some about BGI, I tried it and was hooked. When BGII came out, I couldn't wait until Christmas and bought a copy. I too spend many hours playing after my wife and kids go to bed. Got 3 hours of sleep the night before last -- trying to solo the whole thing with a mage dualed to a thief (going through Irenicus's Dungeon with a 1st level thief takes many a reload).
Old 02-01-2001, 11:52 AM   #35
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Donut.

Nice to meet you mate. Luvved yer profile...bang on with mine but substitute the Arsenal for the Palace and it'd be the same, love a good Ruby too, a good one should burn both ends imo .

I used to spend a lot of time in Enfield but that was in another life (don't ask.) I've forgotten the pubs and even the road names now but one thing I'll never forget was that there used to be an eccentric guy who used to dress in flamboyent pink clobber and wave at the traffic on Sundays. This was in the mid eighties and it may have been the A10?... Church road is creeping into my head for some reason...oh well. You ever seen him?....fantastic smiling character, reminded me of Quentin Crisp.

Anyway, yeah the intellivision, shortly after those first tennis/football games you could plug into your telly, you know the ones...big bats or little bats...sad eh. Intellivision was a big leap at the time. Oddly enough other than the D&D game, my brother had a game called B17 bomber, we spent many happy hours playing it. Because of that game he now owns one of the worlds biggest flight sim websites. Only a couple of weeks back he got Intellivisions B17 Bomber and put it on his monster P.C to show me how far things had come. I think I'll ask him this evening if he can find the D&D game we mention....if poss' I'll post a shot.

Nice talking to you me old china...take it easy.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:15 PM   #36
BLACK KNIGHT

I started playing on an old 5 disk system that had the 3.5 floppy disks. I can't even remember the name of it. Portal to something. Remember thinking how cool it was when I first beat the game. Fond memories. Didn't start playing ADnD until two years ago. Fun
stuff.

BK

Old 02-01-2001, 03:06 PM   #37
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

My RPG history:
In 1990 I remember I played wizardry 7. I didn't have a computer myself back then, so I called my friend everyday so that I could play it at his place.

Seven years later, I bought wizardry 7 gold and played it a couple of times (about 1997), and in december 2000 I got Baldur's gate II. Right now I am eagerly waiting for wizardry 8 to come out.
Old 02-01-2001, 03:36 PM   #38
The_Daemon

My first RPG was The Secret Of Mana on the SNES. I LOVED that game. I played it at least 5 times. And one of the best features of it was that with the multi-tap, with friends round, each character could be controlled! The multi-player element was really exciting there. Instead of typing in your dying moments "oei neddee heaspl" ("I need help") and then watching you character fall as lag time denies your plea voicing until too late, you just shouted "I'm gonne DIE! Help meeeeee!". Much more satisfying...even if u did get aid too late you could always clip your mates' ears if they failed and give much verbal abuse.
It was Planescape: Torment that got me into the whole AD&D scene which i adore now.

Old 02-01-2001, 04:14 PM   #39
"Hell Lich" Wah

You know, after everyone put their opinion up here - I feel really bad about myself as a kid. I was spoilt by RPGs and I used to have a shelf full of them instead of cuddly teddies or Robot Figures!!

Anyway - The first was a really really dated game called "The Legend Of Zelda" on the Nintendo, which was one of the first NES games to boast an internal memory.

Sadly, that doesn't look up to BG2 these days but at least the rusty cartridge has sentimental value......(sniff)

Old 02-01-2001, 04:28 PM   #40
Lillie
Dungeon Master

When my husband and I first met 15 years ago, he tried to get me into AD&D (he was playing it with my younger brother a lot at that time). I wasn't interested, I was more interested in video arcade games (I'm a slave to visual stimulation I suppose )

Last year, a friend of ours bought EverQuest and convinced us to do the same, so we could all play online together. EQ provided the visuals I needed, but it was basically fantasy-based Quake. No storyline, just hack-slash-loot-rinse-repeat. After about five months, we both got really bored with EQ, so we donated all our gear to our online EQ guild and quit the game.

I'd bought BG1 at the same time I bought EQ, so I turned back to BG once the EQ fog had cleared Been playing BG ever since (currently in Chapter 4 of BG2), and I'm much happier