Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2001, 08:00 PM   #1
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

First things first, I stumbled across a Lich in the Gate area who seems to have a serious problem with me trying to kill him. In fact, he has wiped out my party five times now without even having the courtesy to bleed (or whatever Liches do). Protection from undead and magic spells/scrolls have not helped a whit (unless they are prolonging my agony). I would not be worried except I have not come across the quest where I can get the "Holy Handgrenade" from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." He may or may not be important to the story but this guy has got under my skin and I want him in a permanently deceased state...

Secondly, while I try not to read things on this board that may give away aspects of the plot, I am a little worried about the "young couple" in the tavern where the lich keeps killing me. I convinced them to follow their hearts and am now worried that I may have unleashed "Natural Born Killers" on the city.

Next, before BGI, IWD & BG2, I was not into The Forgotten Realms (yes, I was/am a Tolkien snob). Does anyone know of a reference-type book that would summarize the history, races, alliances, etc. of Faerun (and, hopefully, a suggested order in which books should be read)?

Finally (HOORAY for you guys), I missed the earlier thread about dialogue but wanted to chime in: Jan going into a fight with the battlecry "Your kneecaps are mine!" nearly caused me to choke to death on a cup of coffee. Also, I have equipped Minsc with Lilacor... need I say more???
Old 01-16-2001, 09:58 PM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

IdiotRogue,

I don't mean to burst your buble, but I haven't found that particular lich to be as bad a some of the others. I do understand your desire to whup his ass.

Tiny SPOILER

He is not important to the story line. But he is protecting a very useful weapon that most people want.
Old 01-16-2001, 10:28 PM   #3
Armisael

All liches are tough, this one's no exception. After you've been killed by as many liches as I have, you get to know their battle pattern:

- Timestop
- Symbols: Stun, Fear, Death
- On summoning something, Spell Trigger: True Sight, Dispel Magic, Death Spell
- Gate
- Pit fiend usually attacks the lich; lich will either Maze the daemon or use Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting and kill it in one shot
- Lich will then start using attack spells randomly. Wail of the Banshee, Meteor Swarm, Imprison, Finger of Death, Maze, Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, etc.
- Lich will use a contingency at half health (Mislead, Mantle, Spell Trap)

Good luck killing it. (cough)

Old 01-17-2001, 03:02 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's where the AI is really shit. Why would you summon a fiend but not have Protection from Evil cast? Liches are meant to to have intelligence as their prime requisite.

With regards to your original question IdiotRogue, click here for a chronological listing of EVERY single FR book printed. Some of these may be out of print, you may want to check ebay or www.amazon.com for them.

If you find a reference type book that SUMMARIZES this, let me know. I've been looking for a while.
Old 01-17-2001, 03:22 AM   #5
Armisael

Here's something I'm curious about - I don't think protection from evil actually works on non-party NPCs. Remember that woman in the Twisted Rune? That staff's supposed to keep her protected from evil, but every time she summons a pit fiend it attacks her.

Old 01-17-2001, 03:24 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Good point Armisael, but it doesn't make sense, does it? I know Irenicus casts Protection from Evil before he summons but i know none of the liches do.
Old 01-17-2001, 03:40 AM   #7
Armisael

It could make sense. Pit fiends and other similar summoned daemons have a fairly different script. Normally, a hostile will never attack another hostile, but pit fiends do. There's got to be a loophole in there somewhere. Anyway, the daemons Irenicus summons aren't actually the 'summoned' type, the game just creates them.

Old 01-18-2001, 04:58 PM   #8
KALYN

I haven't fought this particular lich, but on every other lich I have fought, I set millions of traps around him then shoot magic missles at him or something and when he moves, he dies! Also protection from evil, chaotic commands, haste, summoning elementals, breech, and insect plague. Insect plague is great to open with because it severly impairs his spellcasting, and takes hit points off.

As far as good reading, one of my favorite trilogies in the forgotten realms is the Avatar trilogy. It introduces you to a lot of the characters that you hear talked about frequently in the game. Not to mention that they are kick ass books.

Old 01-18-2001, 05:22 PM   #9
"Hell Lich" Wah

The staff of the magi is a bit F**ked up too. The protection from evil that it's meant to give you when you equip it DOESN'T protect you from the pit fiends.

Sure it gives ya the extra saving throw stuff etc...

but when a mage or my mage summons a pit fiend it sees me every time!!

I don't know if you people have had this problem but is it a bug or something??

Old 01-18-2001, 05:32 PM   #10
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have said it before and I say it again. Just backstab the lich. Immediately when you see it, have all fighters attack it and your thief backstab it. The fight normally takes 2 sek.
Kangaxx, is a little harder, but with the proper weapons (one in particular), the fight shouldn't take too long.