Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-10-2001, 11:20 AM   #1
Zaragoth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you make an Assassin and dual him to a fighter at later levels, will he get much more THAC0?
thx
Old 08-10-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
Legolas the Elven Archer

It depends on what you call "much more". The assassin/fighter will certainly have a better THACO than a regular assassin, but I don't know the THACO tables so I can't give you any exact numbers.
If you don't have ToB yet and your thieving skills aren't at their best, I think it would be best to wait with the dual classing though.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-10-2001, 03:40 PM   #3
Tuor
Elminster

I wouldn't bother dualling to a fighter at all from an assassin, you miss out on loads of hit points. You are better off doing it the other way around or not dualling at all because thieves get VERY powerful in ToB.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:12 PM   #4
ScottG
Drow Warrior

much better to dual from a std fighter to an assasin - you will need ShadowKeeper to do this (just change the kit to assasin while you are still a fighter, when you dual to theif you will automatically become an assasin).
Old 08-11-2001, 07:27 PM   #5
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

I actually did dual an Assassin to a plain Fighter in an effort to improve the THAC0. It can work. But it requires patience.

However, if you retain the Assassin as a pure class, and advance to ToB, you will get access to a couple things -

Alchemy skill, which allows you to make potions
Use-Any-Item skill, which lets you use any armour and any shield, helms, etc.

- So, you can then put on full plate and drink potions of invisibility, allowing backstabs all the time. Items like the Helm of Balduran can improve the THAC0. The armour class of your thief will drop like a stone, allowing greater durability in battle.

Conversely, a Fighter will get the Greater Whirlwind skill, allowing multiple hits(10) per round. If you go from Assassin to Fighter, you'll become a dreadful poisoner. You can't lose either way.