Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 11-13-2002, 06:38 PM   #11
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazza:
I've read Talon of the Silver Hawk and it's right up there with the best of his writing in my opinion. I enjoyed it a lot, in fact I had it read in two days. I just couldn't put it down.
You have no idea how good that is to hear!!!

I can't wait to get it.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:46 AM   #12
Thoran
Galvatron

I certainly hope you're right Gazza, I used to view him as very talented, especially in the character development area... MANY memorable characters. Now he's killed them all off (except Pug) and has yet to develop any depth to their replacements. His early works were very entertaining... hopefully he's getting back to that caliber of writing.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:39 AM   #13
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

there was Tomas too, last time I checked, but i agree, there are alot of really great characters that he's gone through and I just don't feel any connection to their replacements.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:18 PM   #14
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I think that this is a serious problem for a lot of writers. They want to milk a good concept for all the money they can. The love and care you saw in earlier books disappears and all that you see is the copy/paste lines of the same old thing thrown together again and again.
I've found the same to be true when reading Salvatore and Terry Goodking (sp) I mean the Rahl books. What has really upset me is the Wheel of Time series. It was going to be 4 books and now it takes 2 books to move the turgid plot along at all. Tell the story before not only you but all of us die of old age! What was a great series in vols. 1-5 is now just ordinary. After 10 years I don't care about the characters anymore.

Ever since Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings, it seems that fantasy writers feel a need for every story to be epic multi-volumes. Even if the story is told in one book it needs to be 700 pages. Let's face it, not every story is that big or worthy of that many written words.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:54 PM   #15
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
I think that this is a serious problem for a lot of writers. They want to milk a good concept for all the money they can. The love and care you saw in earlier books disappears and all that you see is the copy/paste lines of the same old thing thrown together again and again.
I've found the same to be true when reading Salvatore and Terry Goodking (sp) I mean the Rahl books. What has really upset me is the Wheel of Time series. It was going to be 4 books and now it takes 2 books to move the turgid plot along at all. Tell the story before not only you but all of us die of old age! What was a great series in vols. 1-5 is now just ordinary. After 10 years I don't care about the characters anymore.

Ever since Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings, it seems that fantasy writers feel a need for every story to be epic multi-volumes. Even if the story is told in one book it needs to be 700 pages. Let's face it, not every story is that big or worthy of that many written words.
I totally agree with you, except I wouldn't quite throw Goodkind into that category yet. Sure, Pillars of Creation could have been better, but Faith of the Fallen was F*%#ing stellar.

I just finished the book, and I enjoyed myself immensely. It wasn't his best work, but it is far above mundane and definately better than that Riftwar Legacy drivel. Certainly worth picking up.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:34 AM   #16
Legolas
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I totally agree with you, except I wouldn't quite throw Goodkind into that category yet. Sure, Pillars of Creation could have been better, but Faith of the Fallen was F*%#ing stellar.
Can't argue with that. I still can't decide whether I liked Faith of the Fallen better than Wizard's First Rule despite reading both several times... and that's quite a compliment for a sixth book in any series.
Right now, though, I just want one final book to finish the series and have him start on a new one.

Seems difficult for authors to abandon the worlds they've created earlier and start writing about new characters in a fresh setting.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:33 PM   #17
Talthus
The Magister

hmmm, I was just wondering if someone could post the general story or what the series is about? I'm just finishing a series right now and I'm just starting to get into another one but I'm always open to new books
<br /><br />&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br /><br /><i>The gate of tomorrow is not the light of heaven, but the darkness in the depths of the earth. So even if I go to hell, I will live to the end<br />of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands. For there is no meaning if the end does not <br />come. Why, you ask? Simply because In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. The only difference between me and <br />them is that I have the reaper one step behind me...and the will to cause such a tragedy...</i><br /><br />&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br /><br />-- The Order of Vier\'Tahl --
Talthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 08:18 AM   #18
Thoran
Galvatron

Not to switch this to a Goodkind thread... but I got faith of the fallen on Audio CD and listened to it while travelling last summer, it was a great read (er... hear [img]smile.gif[/img] ). It seemed to me Pillars of Creation was a book Goodkind had laying around (or maybe the concept was lying around) and he decided to throw it in while he was deciding on where to go with the REAL series. It's nice to see an author writing a megaseries actually make some strides towards wrapping it up BEFORE the last darn book.

[ 11-26-2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote