Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #21
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I got a question about SP2 as well. Since this thread touch this topic might as well ask here.

My cousin asked me whether the WinXp update function can automatically download and install the SP2 without prompting the user first? He said he didn't remember downloading the SP2 however " suddenly " he notice he got SP2 because he couldn't play Dragonraja ( a mmorpg ) anymore because it couldn't support SP2. Is that possible?

[ 11-06-2004, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 11-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #22
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Okay... Animal care to explain..?
If you're running XP or any variation on a sub-par machine, it's your own fault.
If you're using old hardware, it's your own fault.
If you don't set up your computer properly, by installing the correct drivers in the correct order, it's your own fault.
If you don't know what you're doing, it's your own fault.

I've set up SP2 on various different machines with different hardware configurations and have had absolutely no problems, however, all the machines have hardware built in the last 2-3 years.

SP2 has not increased boot times and I've had absolutely no compatibility problems with any software.

If you're running anything less than a 1GHZ CPU with 512MB DDR and a 7200rpm HD then you either go play with the kids using 9x, or step up to the plate and buy some hardware.

EDIT: After installing any Service Pack, immediately re-install your motherboard drivers followed by your video card drivers. DO NOT install your video card drivers before your motherboard drivers. Install XP first, followed by SP2 and any updates, then your motherboard drivers followed lastly by your video card drivers. Install whatever you want after that.
[/QUOTE]Okay now my only concern are the mobo drivers. Bascially, I will uninstall my video card drivers and that's it? I am pretty concerned with my Antivirus, all that slowing down rumors, and my other games... Sorry if I am slow to pick up I just don't want to rant about it... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #23
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I would like to say that I think I get what you mean Animal. I will be installing SP2 in a while... I pray to God my system sticks... well... we'll see.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #24
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'm not installing it at all, it won't be all that long until MS brings Windows Longhorn anyway, until then i can do without their crappy updates.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #25
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
I got a question about SP2 as well. Since this thread touch this topic might as well ask here.

My cousin asked me whether the WinXp update function can automatically download and install the SP2 without prompting the user first? He said he didn't remember downloading the SP2 however " suddenly " he notice he got SP2 because he couldn't play Dragonraja ( a mmorpg ) anymore because it couldn't support SP2. Is that possible?
Yes, and I believe that's the whole point of automatic updates - you don't get prompted or have to worry about it at all. The main reason why you should have it turned off
Old 11-06-2004, 09:50 AM   #26
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I'm not installing it at all, it won't be all that long until MS brings Windows Longhorn anyway, until then i can do without their crappy updates.
Well if you think 2007 isn't that far away, be my guest to wait. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #27
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Well if you think 2007 isn't that far away, be my guest to wait. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]It's 2006, and i'm not waiting for anything, just avoiding MS to mess up my stuff.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #28
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Tsss all that hype for nothing.

So far so good. I have been up to date with everything prior to SP2, and everything is working well. No trouble, no issue yet. I agree with the slow loading... but then it's something I don't really mind and I am confident that it will go away sometime soon. I will have to check though if my games and other things still work.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #29
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Well that's just stupid. Not everyone lives in a pink little world where you can buy new top-of-the-line computer just to install a damned patch, as that is what it really is! M$ should have built a reliable update, even if that meant holding it from release for another few months or even a year. But that's what you get when you allow someone to monopolize the market.
You don't need a top of the line PC. In fact the minimum requirements are a 233MHZ processor with 64MB RAM. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx

Just don't expect it to be very fast unless you have good hardware. As for not being a reliable update, how so? How would it be more reliable?

If MS isn't for you, there's always the various different forms of Linux, DOS, OS2...not exactly a monopoly. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #30
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Animal, I haven't re-installed anything yet. No it's all good. But then when it starts up it's slower... Hmm I'll try updating my mobo drivers, and then re-install my video drivers (I have heard that it isn't necessary to keep on updating your video card drivers if your vid card is getting old because the new drivers are optimized for the newer ones, etc). We'll see how it goes [img]smile.gif[/img] BTW I like your sig.