Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-16-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

I'm filling in a C.V, and I need help.

I have to write a 200 word essay, on why I want to be an engineer at sea.

So, anyone have any cute comments I can put in?

The best I got was :

"I would like to work at sea, as it takes me away from the trouble of everyday mainland life, and this will allow me to concentrate on my career one hundred percent".
Old 01-16-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I'm not sure what you mean here, "filling in a C.V"? From context, I gather you're talking about a career aboard a Navy CVN?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

He refers to (I guess) Curriculum Vitae.
A form with all your who's and whatsits about edu-macation, previous employment, et al.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:56 PM   #4
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Sounds like that's it, from other posts I've just read, he's applying for a job at Maersk (or somesuch ).
Old 01-16-2003, 06:32 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Yeah, I'm asking for something I can put into this essay about "why I want to go work at sea". Some things that they might look at and think: Ah yes, he seems a good candidate!

What skills are useful when you are on a ship?

Old 01-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Yeah, I'm asking for something I can put into this essay about "why I want to go work at sea". Some things that they might look at and think: Ah yes, he seems a good candidate!

Well why do you want to work at sea?

Maybe that you're interested in travel and, I dunno, always wanted to be a sailor... you admire Popeye? I'm not sure the bit about taking you away from the trouble of mainland life is the best thing to say, to me it makes you sound a bit flaky and like you might have trouble with job commitment and so on.

I think the same sort of basic skills apply for most jobs - good work ethic, desire to acquire more skills, enthusiasm. I don't know how much time actually at sea you'd have, but maybe that you're comfortable being away from family, that you don't get seasick lol

Now but I would think the most important thing to have in being an engineer at sea would be... an engineering degree! What are your thoughts oh many-lettered engineer Davros?
Old 01-16-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Well, life is different on a civilian transport from a military vessel, so different standards apply.

A love of the sea in general is applicable, but very little is similar otherwise. Military vessels would emphasize an ability to tolerate closeness and stress while a civilian vessel would be lonely and boring - even supertankers have crews in the low 10's and you could conceivably go for days on end without talking to somebody.

I'd say if you were looking for a freighter job, talk about being able to catch up on your reading and enjoying the idyllic environment.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #8
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

Quote:
Being able to swim
Old 01-17-2003, 04:28 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

Now but I would think the most important thing to have in being an engineer at sea would be... an engineering degree! What are your thoughts oh many-lettered engineer Davros?
I almost glossed over and missed this dig from the "oh so many more letters than me" Aelia Jusa .

I think Aelia gives pretty good advice though - you want to stay away from the suggestion of it (the job) getting you away from troubles. Focus on the positive aspects - travel definitely - are you likely to beseeing much of the world. Bigger machinery - what sort of work do you think you will be doing? Is this like an enlistment thing - is there a set number of years that you have to sign up for. If so, then it is a chance for you to work on a career whilst having independance and not wasting money on rent and food and electricity and stuff. A chance to do a good job, earn some respect, and to save money towards a house and a future. Tailor things to suit your situation, but anyone showing that they have thought about and are planning their future is someone that will come across as being comitted towards achieving the tasks they will be setting you.

Good luck Lavi ....... and Hello Miss Jusa - how are your 3 months of holidays going
Old 01-17-2003, 09:27 AM   #10
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I would like to do my part to serve my country where it is most needed, I feel that the farther away we keep a protective barrier around our nation the safer our country is. It's better to bring a war to the frontlines on the open water rather than the frontlines of our nation. I do not even want to fathom the implications that a war on our fragile coastline or in our urban cities would surmount to, and therefore I feel that for such a rich and powerfull nation like our own, we must use sea power and take advantage of all technologies possible for keeping the seas safe. I want to do my part to ensure that those technologies stay up and running so that we can remain at sea.

Hows that? [img]tongue.gif[/img] I got a patriotic Knack

And hey, if you ever get a Chance to visit Guantanamo Bay, ring me up [img]tongue.gif[/img]