Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2001, 02:49 AM   #1
Khellendros

Please share what your favorite fighting style is and your specific fav weapons are. I like to roleplay and I have a human ranger with 2* in bastard swords, 2* in longbows, 2* in single weapon style, and 1 in daggers.
I am currently using Bloodbrand and the heartseeker bow, the pixie prick is my dagger.What about you guys?

Old 01-07-2001, 03:15 AM   #2
Zoot Ax

i'm a monk, mostly using unarmed so that doesn't count i guess, but my other character is a swashbuckler who naturally uses 2 weapon fighting style, which i thought all rangers would use as well! whatever turns you on iguess heh heh

Old 01-07-2001, 03:20 AM   #3
bocaj

I have a monk and a sorcerer both can't have very many weopons but my kensai has 4* katana and I can't remember how many but the rest on is on two weopon fighting. I like it when he runs into battle with two katanas and kills everything seeable

Old 01-07-2001, 06:11 AM   #4
Ramon

I am always amazed by the fact how popular the two weapon fighting style is - I know it is very "macho". I have had
Minsc throughout the game, who is, of course, one of the npcs best suited for it, but after checking it out for a while I have never used it. I prefer my main upfront melee
fighters to be well protected and the shields available are just too great to pass them up.

My favourite weapon fighting style is two-handed. I know that sounds like a contradiction, since it does not allow you a shield, either, but its advantages (above all that it doubles your chances for a critical hit) outweigh this major drawback.
I have also only used it for a my fighter/mage - as long as he is magically protected his ac is not that important - and Keldorn who was only my third/fourth melee option.

The one weapon style is, of course, nice for npcs who cannot wield a shield and the "with
shield style" a nice bonus without any drawbacks.

So long,

Ramon

Old 01-07-2001, 06:25 AM   #5
Cleric
Welcomed New User

I use Warhamer and have 5* (cheatet) , and my favorite styles , With two warhammer , but now I am use Corm Feayr and the shield of Harmony +2 , I like it , but shout i chanse the harmony shield , for the sentynel(spelling)+4 , It sets my Ac on -20 , the harmony on -18 , but the harmony gife me mind shield.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:05 AM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

While I will agree that using a two-handed weapon is a good sport, I like to have magical protections. By combining proper order of two weapons, you can get a lot of added spell protections, extra AC benefits, yadda yadda yadda. Sometimes it's not always the best to do the most damage, sometimes it's good to just build up some protection. I like to use the Mace of Disruption +2 (immunity to level drain) with a wide assortment of weapons. I run a Ranger/Cleric and I hate losing levels. When I first started off I tended to rely on the Flail of Ages cause it was +3 and did 3 different types of damage. I have never much liked using staves, unless of course you are a mage and you get the staff of the archmagi, but I haven't found a good dual class to go with mage yet.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:10 AM   #7
Artea

i'm a kensai at the moment so i'm trying two weapon style at the moment, but i miss my old barbarian who used hammer and shield...i don't think that any weapon style is better then the other, all depends on what equipment you have.

Artea

Old 01-07-2001, 07:20 AM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Yes, I totally agree with you. It again comes down to style of play. Like I was saying, I like protections rather than hack and slash stuff. I figure, as long as I have something to keep me from dying on the spot, I can eventually wear someone down. If I wanted total hack and slash, I could have just gone total fighter cause they get all those cool proficiencies.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:16 AM   #9
Le Bon

Hi,

I would like to use the two weapons fighting style with my ranger but since it is impossible to wield a bow at the same time I had to change to single handed fighting w/o shield. It is funny one can use a two handed sword and a bow at the same time...
By the way, what is the exact benefit from fighting with two weapons? Doubled attack rate?

CU, Bon

Old 01-07-2001, 08:52 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Bon, check out a post here by Glorick the Half Orc (do a search with Glorick as the keyword - username only) not too long ago. He did this whole experiment on the differences between dual wield and two handed style and had some interesting conclusions - can't remember exactly what, but it seemed to suggest that at the top levels of proficiency 2H style will actually do more net damage per round as opposed to dual wield due to the impact of reduced speed factors and 2H weapons having greater base damage capability. Don't quote me on this though as I'm going from memory. I'd find it myself and post the link here but i'm too lazy!