Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Default Mouse click not being recognised!

I have gone through the tech thread and picked up all the files (and posted a message about a new dll that might help - go and have a look see!) in order to get W&W working on a fast PC in XP and have finally succeeded, being able to enter all the village buildings, hear the music and speech and be able to leave either gate into the '3D world' I have got the quests from the town hall and the inn and have met the snakeman. I cannot get any further though as my mouse clicks don't seem to be recognised. I click on the fight icon so my cursor changes to the sword and I click on an enemy creature hitting me and my NPC's do nothing. I hit space to go through my party, clicking on a creature with each member of my party and nothing happens.

Invariably, my party dies!

I also cannot get the gates to open to go back into the village, even when I have the 'use' cursor highlighted.

Can anyone help? I have heard so many great things and have spent a couple days of frustration getting the game to work at all, and now I seem so close - and yet so far - from being able to play this game and find out how great it really is!
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Mouse click not being recognised!

~Either you are too far from the intended target. Though I doubt it.

~Try and tweak around the mouse option inside the game.
Edit->Settings->Mouse

~Try and use another mouse.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Kakero - thanks for the repsonse and possible answers!

Your right that I get very close and nothing and back away and nothing. I have a save with just one troll, and just tweak and reload and try and hit the guy! If I back away he uses his bow and close up, his club, I have tried step-time and realtime, and have swords and spells chosen so my party can attack close in and at distance and they do nothing in either case!

I have played around with the mouse settings in game, but the quandary is that my mouse works perfectly in the village! I can buy armour, talk to characters, set up characters, etc, which all involve mouse clicks! I have to click on one of the gates, after all, to get out of the village. It seems the problem is how the interface changes when you're outside the village and the way the cursor icons work.

I do not have another mouse, so that would be an extra spend, so i'll have to see if I can borrow one, but given my mouse works in general, and in the village specifically, I cannot believe it's that. It literally works okay in every other gamer I have - and has done for the last year!

I will continue to try to solve the problem, and welcome any ideas, however silly, so I thank you again for at least trying to help - and I am very grateful!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I have changed my NVidia drivers and can no play the movie, I have changed my mouse drivers and the problem is still there. I can now quit without the game crashing, and in every other way can now run this game except for the mouse icons not changing to a blue or red target on NPC or automatically changing on objects like the gates. I loaded the game into my Virtual PC and it was so slow as to be unplayable outside of village gates, but I did manage to turn around outside the gate so i was looking at the gate and I saw the pointer change from the fight (sword) icon to the use icon. In my game the icon doesn't change and when I change it manually and left click my mouse pointer changes to a walking icon.

I've tried looking to see if anywhere I can turn off the walking cursor when holding left mouse button down but cannot see anything. Still not sure, based on poor manual how step time works, as surely in step time you need a command to 'End turn' so the enemy has his turn. In the game the space bar 'ends the turn', but in my game it just changes the party member your controlling. You can go through all your party, end the turn with the space bar and it just brings you back to the first party member without doing anything!

I am afraid i am this close to giving up on this game- which is such a toal shame and the waste of the eight UK pounds ($15) I paid for it!

Last edited by uk_john; 06-06-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I want to re-phrase my problem after seeing a video on You Tube of the game. My cursor does not change to a blue or red target when I run it over a NPC, nor does it change when I run it over any item. If I am in fight mode it will stay a sword until I hold the left mouse button down then I get the eye cursor for 'looking'.

For the life of me, what can be doing this I don't know! It can't be the graphic drivers, and my mouse works in any other game in any other regard. It can't be a bug as other would have it, so I am stumped!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I found a site that talked about the graphic patch on this site that allows 1280x1024 graphics. It said an interesting thing, and I quote:

"....This second bug makes selecting objects and monsters on the 3d portion of the screen difficult...".

That is my problem, and I am using this graphic patch and obviously for some reason it's not working on my PC.

hence it's unfixable, and I have to give up. Moderator, feel free to close this thread.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wait... last thought. Are you running in software graphics mode or accelerated? Try it in software mode...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
uk_john
Dungeon Master

As mention in the tech thread - if I try software mode the game crashes at startup and I have to reinstall the gameopt file to be able to restart the game. I have spent as much time trying to get the game to run in software mode as I have trying to get the cursor problem solved.

I even contacted Ross Ridge, the programmer, who said that with modern drivers he couldn't do anything. he agreed my problem was the bug he tried to fix with his graphic patch.

I have spent more time trying to get this game to work than any game before it. At some point you have to draw the line. I have tried a USB mouse, a PS2 mouse, 4 different NVidia drivers, 8 or 9 re-installs, Virtual PC download and attempt to use there (to no avail) and I have played the first village part up to meeting the snakeman about 30 times!

What is a little surprising is that no on on this site or any other has talked about this cursor problem, 99% of the messages are about getting the game to start. Once started, it would seem nobody has this cursor problem, so Ross' fix obviously works. I have no idea why it doesn't work for my game, especially now that I have absolutely every other aspect of the game now working!

I'll end just by thanking you and everyone that tried to help - you're all a credit to PC role-playing!

Last edited by uk_john; 06-07-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
JDR13
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey I'm having the EXACT same problem as you. I also tried every known bug fix with no success, and nobody on these forums could help me. If you ever figure out the fix please post back and let us know.
JDR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

THis is so frustrating!

I'm not a techie so have no idea how to fix this problem. I never personally experienced it when I played the game. I just did another google search to see if I could find any solutions and didn't find anything.

Such a pity! Activision never did support this game even right after it was released. Our Tech Tips thread did help a lot of players but at this point - the game is OLD and so many of us have computers that are far newer than the game.

Sorry that I have no help to offer.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote