Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2001, 06:26 AM   #1
Icebraker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What is your strategy for them?

------------------
When I am I and then I you and change you to ice!!!
Old 03-05-2001, 06:40 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Memorize the priest spell Chaotic Commands two or three times and cast on your missile weapon users and try and get them from long range. Leave the rest of your group out of harms way. Once they close on you, each hit will take -4 from your INT until you drop to zero and die. They move pretty quickly as well. Cloudkill from a wand (as opposed to the spell) helps.

These, along with beholders, are going to be your toughest battles. If you don't have access to Chaotic Commands you are going to do it VERY tough.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-05-2001, 07:36 AM   #3
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Hi Icebraker !

Memnoch is, of course, right, chaotic commands is the key to fighting mindflayers.

I have had also mixed results with summnoned skeleton warriors against them. It seems that the less powerful mindflayers are not able to drain intelligence from them, but the more powerful are. One more tactic against them that is great if it works but a bit uncertain: larger groups of mindflayers are usually accompanied by umber hulks that serve as their body guards. When these groups attack the umber hulks usually storm ahead, now if you choose the battleground carefully and manage to stun/hold an umber hulk in a narrow passageway he will block it and you can take out the mindflayer with ranged weapons without having to worry about their intelligence drain.

Btw, does anybody know if the psionic attacks of mindflayers have a spell level/ belong to a mage school ? In other words, do Globe of Invulnerability or Spell Immunity work against them. I kind of doubt it, but maybe worth a try.

Good luck !

------------------
So long !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 08:04 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Hi Icebraker !

Btw, does anybody know if the psionic attacks of mindflayers have a spell level/ belong to a mage school ? In other words, do Globe of Invulnerability or Spell Immunity work against them. I kind of doubt it, but maybe worth a try.

Good luck !

No, unfortunately. Psionics are mind powers and totally different to magical powers. That's why House Oblodra of Menzoberranzan retained their powers even during the Time of Troubles (Bob Salvatore's Seige of Darkness).

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-05-2001, 08:16 AM   #5
Stealthy

If you have a beserker or barbarian in your party, enrage also protects them from being controlled, but generally keep your distance and use the cannon fodder skeletons to act as a wall.

------------------

Charlie's S-Plan diet is no better than his invisibility potion!
Old 03-05-2001, 09:21 AM   #6
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Another twist to Memnochs's strategy--
I use Chaotic commands and potions of genius on my fighters and then let them hack and slash. The mindflayers are really no match for a couple of mid/high level fighters. Do be wary of the Int drain, that was mentioned. I lost Minsc to this, even with the potion of genius.....also let your mage/cleric kill the umberhulks (if there are any) with ranged weapons.

------------------
Old 03-05-2001, 10:41 AM   #7
Dimension X
Dungeon Master

When all else fails, you can always do what I do..

Summon Mordenkainen's Sword.

This spell really rocks...

Two of them busted Firkraag's ego.

------------------
A Drawn Sword;
A Trickle Of Blood;
The Tempest Is Brewing.
Nemesis....
Old 03-05-2001, 11:25 AM   #8
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Summoning animals, elementals, and undead help in that they divert asome attention away from you. Plus they can get in a few hits.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death
Old 03-05-2001, 12:25 PM   #9
Hesperex

Memnoch's stratagy is pretty sound...then again his useually are

------------------

Old 03-05-2001, 01:30 PM   #10
Icebraker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks! I am off to go kill some Mind Flayers!

------------------
When I am [img] http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/cgi-bin/ubb/noncgi/smiles/triste.gif[/img]I and then I you and change you to ice!!!