Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Default A Return to the Dale

Sooooo, looks like this forum is dead...

I am adventuring once more in the Dale, after several years away. I am, once again, playing HoF from scratch, with beginning characters. This time through, the lineup is as follows:

Paladin
Ranger/Cleric
Fighter/Druid
Fighter/Illusionist
Fighter/Mage/Thief
Mage/Cleric

In my one concession to how rusty I am, I am using only multiclasses (and the paladin) for this run. I thought about making the last character a dual F/D, but I decided to go for the M/C for additional spell power, and play it as an offensive mage and defensive/healing cleric. It can be problematic using the R/C as the main healer, as the R/C is, IMO, best utilized offensively. Even at low levels, Command, Hold Person, and Draw Upon Holy Might are arguably of more value to the party than healing spells.

Anyway, feel free to check into this thread and let me know if you're still playing.

The party is mostly lvl 4/4 (paladin and druid levels are 5, F/M/T levels are lower), and is moving on to the Kuldahar Pass.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: A Return to the Dale

Once I find my installation CD's again (Lost them during hte move to my current apartment,) I'll be resuming my first HoF game.

My party is:

Kyrvias~Cleric10/Ranger9
Laurana~Fighter9/Mage10/Thief11
Shaina~Fighter10/Druid12
Alhana~Cleric13
Vanthalas~Enchanter13
Rhelan~Bard14

And the save I have left over is at the very start of Dorn's Deep... eh. I think I'll just cave in and get the Icewind Dale pack off of amazon for pretty cheap. My disks were pretty scratched up anyway
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Interesting party composition. It should cover just about everything. I assume the C/R does the tanking?

How do you find the scroll access for your Enchanter? That's steered me away from pureclass wizards on HoF.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Honestly, I only had problems with spell finding through the Vale. Once that was over, I had at least 1 spell/higher level, and managed to make do with what I had.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

I've taken my party through lvl 2 of Dragon's Eye so far. On level 1, before I returned to Kuldahar and took advantage of Orrick's increased spell selection, my F/M/T had spell slots up to level five and only spells up to level two. Things are a little better now, but I dropped a lot of money at Orrick's tower.

DE brought home to me again how important summons are to a HoF party. I have graphics issues when I cast Web in DE, so I try to use the spell-trap strategy sparingly. On level two, there's lots of monsters that can quite easily hit the best AC character you have (my paladin is -10, with buffs). Your tank just can't last against the onslaught of multiple trolls or sword spiders without the party resting after every fight, so expendable meat shields are critical.