Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Anyone playing this with a Single Core computer?

I have a friend who's interested in getting Dragon Age Origins for the PC but he's got a single core 3 ghz. Anyone here actually tried it and knows how the performances are on that?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Anyone playing this with a Single Core computer?

Not I, but I would venture to say it wouldn't be too problematical. This doesn't seem to be hard on the processor like say, Oblivion was. Still, you never know. Best bet would be to ask in the DA forums on Bioware.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Or (sorry just crossed my mind) you could also try to disable a core and test it for him on your own rig.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I never tried. I'm not sure how I would go about disabling 3 cores.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Kezardin
Elminster

Luvian,

If you've got XP and an Intel CPU you can do it via task manager. Start the program then access task manager with the program running in the background.

In task manager select 'processes' and find the .exe for the program - right click it and select 'set affinity' - then deselect the number of cores you want and click 'ok'.

Last edited by Kezardin; 11-07-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Any updates on this? I'm interested in knowing whether I can run this game on a 3.4GHz CPU, not sure if it's core 2 or whatever.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I didn't get around to trying it. The few times I get any time to play I jump in and forget about testing. I'll have to try and think about it.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I have not tried this - but following the official forums I did spot a few posts about people having issues with this cause they overlooked that the game does not support single core hardware.

I am pretty sure it would work after a bit of tweaking though...just my five cents worth
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I will try it in the next week for you, disabling one of my cores.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Here's my rig;
1. WIN XP w/SP3
2. 2.533GHZ single core CPU
3. 2GB RAM
4. GeForce 7600GS w/512MB onboard video RAM

This machine runs DA:O acceptably on the "high" graphics setting. It has some video skipping, which, so far, is OK by me...BUT I HAVEN'T been in any big battles yet. The most I've had in the party so far are Jowan and Lily (mage origin), and the most baddies we fought were 3, maybe 4, sentinels. I also experience slight audio skipping in the cut scenes.

The overall experience is good, and I can live with these problems, even knowing that BIG battles may bog down the rig. And I like the storyline so far.

All of the above game behaviour is with the AV turned off or snoozed. With my AV turned on, the game is noticeably clunkier.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 12-29-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: coctent
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote