Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 03:09 PM   #21
SecretMaster
Apophis

Success is contentment. Any person who is happy and satisfied with their life may call themselves successful, because really, there is no real definition. It varies from person to person. One persons view of success can be totally different from another.
A rich person does not have to be successful. That person may not be content, but everyone else may call himself successful.

Success exists because we exist. It is a human emotion that has been given a name. You can't get rid of it. It is a state of mind that can last for a brief period or forever. It is all dependent on what that person believes is success.

It does however, explain the rationale behind some people. Competitive people will always compete to achieve something. In their mind, success is beating all the others. So, in theory, our vision of success tells us what we want and could thereby almost predict how that person we constantly behave until they achieve that success.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:39 PM   #22
Stratos
Vampire

Success is reaching a goal you've set out for yourself.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:39 PM   #23
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
why is that?
Quote:
Originally posted by Mellagar:
When a predator catches its prey, a female gives birth, or the newly born survive the changing seasons.
I think that sufficiently answers your question
Old 05-18-2004, 03:47 PM   #24
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Lester: Mine. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:01 PM   #25
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
That's a different question... certainly a worm that lives a long life and creates a lot of little worms is successful... but doesn't experience it in the same manner that we do. The key is seperating the concept from the application.

Regarding the Buddhist monk... it's likely that his internal feelings of success at learning a new chant (being a bit silly but you know what I mean) are similar to those of the Wall Street guy who's just pulled off a big deal. Each feels a sense of accomplisment and satisfaction at what they think of as an important job well done, but that line of reasoning is a red herring. Your question points to the theory of relativism... a popular concept these days but one that I feel is FAR too overused and abused. Success as a simple intellectual concept is not subject to relativism in my opinion because it is an abstract concept... applying it to a situation is the only way you can then suggest relative differences... but it's not "Success" that's relative... it's the situation.
Ok. Cool.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #26
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarf:
quote:
Lester: Mine. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!
[/QUOTE]A 2nd Gen Screaming Chicken bird is high on my list (have not fixed on a year yet, but definitely a 455), along with an 89 TTA (3rd gen) and a 69 Camaro (1st gen), I already have a 4th gen (modified 96 Z) and a 69 Mustang Fastback. Don't have the money for a mopar or I'd love to have a few of them too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #27
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Nice job guys/gals/space-aliens! This thread has been a...success!

Anyway, I honestly think that success is a human invention, that it is not universal. What is beyond it, though? I don't think I can know, immersed in it as I am. I do agree with those of you who have said that it was created partially because survival was less of an issue, but I have to wonder if "success" has been becoming more and more related to survival as our society ages. After all, life without success is becoming less and less meaningful. More and more people choose to ignore the need for survival in pursuit of success. This is a curious phenomenon.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:14 PM   #28
Mellagar

Long ago people hunted living game, deer, buffalo, etc. We still have the need for the hunt, and the will to succeed in the hunt, just that now the deer is replaced by the dollar. Perhaps the answer is that there is no answer, the world and universe just....is.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:32 PM   #29
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Nice job guys/gals/space-aliens! This thread has been a...success!

Anyway, I honestly think that success is a human invention, that it is not universal. What is beyond it, though? I don't think I can know, immersed in it as I am. I do agree with those of you who have said that it was created partially because survival was less of an issue, but I have to wonder if "success" has been becoming more and more related to survival as our society ages. After all, life without success is becoming less and less meaningful. More and more people choose to ignore the need for survival in pursuit of success. This is a curious phenomenon.
Again, define success? What you may consider succesful is probably different than what I consider it to be.

Some people consider raising a happy, healthy family successful while others consider obscene amount of monies to be successful. Success is nothing more than a feeling.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:06 PM   #30
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

Klingon greeting: Cho-Pah (success)

Success is a word meaning 'accomplishing planned/desired outcome'.

The REAL question of substance is what IS Success to you ? Success is momentary, prosperity is longer lasting. Watch "Troy" and note the differing motivations.

For this Forum, success is scraping needed contributions before the next due date. Prosperity would be having enough contributed to make payments from interest.

However, another measure of success for this Forum might be to assure that members can express themselves freely (without offending)...