Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #11
Seraph
Quintesson

IIRC Gigabit Ethernet will work on CAT-5e or CAT-6 cables. Most CAT-5 cables also meet the CAT-5e specifications, so they would also work.

Also, to clear up something else: A regular CAT-5e or Cat-6 Ethernet cable can be used to connect two computers directly if they use Gigabit Ethernet. This is due to the fact that Gigabit Ethernet runs in a dual duplex mode, so that data is both sent and received on the same wire pairs. That means that the task the crossover cable usually accomplishes, connecting the "send" pins on one computer to the "receive" pins on the other doesn't need to be done.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:53 PM   #12
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, I got the crossover cable and can now share data...now I just need to figure out a)how to run each machine remotely (meaning from the other) and b)how to play games between the two...I think I'm still in the miles from where I want to be...

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 07-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #13
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Try remote desktop, it should be incorporated into WinXP Pro. Otherwise, try a net search, shouldn't be difficult.
For the second you need to set up their IPs and subnets so they recognize each other. An IP of 192.1.1.1 for the first machine and 192.1.1.2 for the second and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on both should work. Actually, forget what I just said, you can share data, so that step is over and done with. To play games just start up one as a game server and have the other join.
EDIT: one massive typo

[ 07-25-2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]
Old 07-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #14
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

that'll do! Wish I'd thought of that, BoB...

But the remote desktop thing doesn't seem to want to work right now...I need to figure out which option I need to turn on, because they just won't connect with remote desktop because niether of them is a "terminal server..."

Is that what you really want to say?