Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Darkstone

Old 06-13-2001, 02:09 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

...but I actually came to a Darkstone board that appears to have really informed players! I didn't even know one existed. Okay, I am a newbie (I truly hate that term) to Darkstone. I just loaded it on my computer but haven't started playing it because I am finishing up Nox (heh, it is fun, but basically mindless). Due to the fact that I bought the game in a 3 pack game bundle the game manual only comes on the CD which I will print out eventually. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some advice for a new player. I am not really looking for spoiler info., just good, basic information that will make the interface all that much easier to handle. And, do you recommend the solo or two party system and why? Should I patch the game? The reason I ask is because Westwood had a patch for Nox and no one has to figure out why. Thanks ahead of time.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 05:14 PM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome

First off - PATCH!!! It's not like the patches are there to fix horrible bugs, rather they add extra features like skins, higher diff lvls and the ability to use and create custom quests.

Secondly, most new players use the two player mode, but as you get to higher lvls, they tend to concentrate on one char. Just take your time, play around with the chars and get a feel for which style suits you best.

Finally - take things slowly, explore the game and don't be in too much of a rush to play at higher diff lvls.

Happy hunting

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #3
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I agree with the patch the game idea but read the patch notes. Several game thigs change. One of the biggest if you are just starting out is that in the non-patched game you kill eveything on a level leave and come back everything is still dead. Patched you leave and come back new critters have moved in. This is true if you go to level 2 then back to 1 or if you finish a level magic door back to town the return through the gate. Big bosses will not return but some of the critters will be back. If you dislike this but like the patch you can play in multiplayer mode which disables this option but then you can only have one character.

As far as characters goes it depends on how you like to play. I prefer long ranged weapons so I use a thief. The biggest catch is with the different classes is the special skills. Look in the manuals and see which ones you really want. The other thing you need to know going in is that you have four stats. depending on your class is what the max is for each stat. One will max at 50 the next at 100 next at 150 then the last at 1000. You can increase this by rings and other items you find also potions later in the game can raise stats. FYI you might want to save the game before you use some potions in the game just to be safe.

Also real bigg tip. Use your arrow keys! They control the camera. Also try the 0 and . keys on your number pad. Last but not least. When you want to assign spells to your spell slots pick the number thenhold down the shift key and click on the spell. Also lean about f5-f8 hot keys for the four boxes that hold scrolls and potions. Yes lots to learn!
I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Granamere (edited 06-13-2001).]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 09:24 AM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I certainly appreciate the responses and the tips. This sounds like an immersive game!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote