Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Hey guys
Right the problem is if I try to go on Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer/Control Panel everything on my screen (taskbar, shortcuts on desktop etc.) disappear, then reappear a few seconds later. Windows Explorer/IE/Control Panel don't load up.
I've just installed Webroot Spy Sweeper and it took some Spyware off my computer, but rerunning it there is still some there. It hasn't fixed the problem of the flashing computer with nothing opening.

Also my homepage on IE changed to a search site, can't remember exact URL. I can't get onto Internet Options or Control Panel or Windows Explorer to have a look at stuff either!

After Spy Sweeper has ran this time, I'm going to run it again. Then if nothing works I'll go play Fable while running Norton Anti Virus 2003.

Any ideas what I should do? Any good Spyware programs that should do the trick?

I know there are other topics on spyware problems, but to get less confusing I thought I'd post my problems in my own topic. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I'm using Mozilla Firefox, thats how I can access IW without IE.

[ 10-09-2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Ivelliis ]
Old 10-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Right I got my homepage back to normal and IE opens again. Well its google.com atm. I used Spy Sweeper's IE Shield options. Changing internet settings, when I click "Ok." it shuts off IE, is this normal?
Old 10-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

No, that's not normal at all.. I think the registry is infected, you need something that is capable of cleaning that out(Spybot).
Old 10-09-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Your best bet is running those programs in safe mode. Get adaware as well, together with spybot it should catch a lot.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

who is Spybot made by? (URL if possible)
I'm going to run Norton soon, it takes so long it means it'll slow my laptop so bad I won't be able to do anything on it.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Spybot S&D rules, as does Adaware.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Right, deleted all things Spysweeper picked up. Running Spybot and Ad-Aware now.

Ad-aware picked up 6 New critical objects so far! Spysweeper missed them totally, jeez!

After I've run them once I'll check again, anything else I should do?

Edit: ran spybot, spy sweeper and ad-aware twice, found nothing.
Except Spybot which found <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Still if I try to access Control Panel or Windows Explorer my desktop refreshes. I found this out when I tried to access explorer, this time using Start->Run->C:/Program Files

The quick icon for Ad-Aware was in the Quicklaunch bit and didn't fit (ie. had the arrow to "see other icons" on). I made it bigger, but then when I tried to access windows explorer it went back to normal, even though I locked the taskbar!

Anyone knows anything how to fix it/why it's doing it/what caused it would be great, its getting annoying.
O and if my dad finds out I'm dead

[ 10-09-2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Ivelliis ]
Old 10-09-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

A couple of things. You should configure Ad-Aware, so that it checks all folders, you will find some more stuff then. Also, try running this to make sure you don't have any sort of virus or trojan.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Ok, thanks Ross, Bozos and Phillip [img]smile.gif[/img]
Norton, Ad-Aware and Spy Sweeper don't pick up anything any more.
Spybot picks up this:
(I made an image)
TOOK IMAGE OUT!

These one's keep coming back, and the box to the right is the explanation for the first virus/trojan/reg edit thing.
The other 2 don't have explanations.

Edit: Its gone! I used the site Ross said, and it came up "no viruses" which was strange. Just now I tried control panel and it worked! All fixed!

[ 10-09-2004, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Ivelliis ]
Old 10-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #10
Gxc
Elminster

Ugh, im having some troubles as well im cant get on AIM. Its not my internet connection or anything but it just says "Aim serves can not be reached" or something like that... does anyone know what i could do? I know i didnt post alot of information about this but i have no clue myself.

Thanks anyone that has a idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]