Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: My Forgotten Realms collection (Pic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
This is genuinely the only collection I have in my tiny flat...
Seems you drank some of that collection.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
uss
20th Level Warrior

Default Re: My Forgotten Realms collection (Pic)

Wow, Ziroc. That collection really does look epic. I've only just begun reading The Dark Elf trilogy, which is apparently the only FR book series that my library has.

Do you have any absolute favourites among that collection?
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by uss View Post
Wow, Ziroc. That collection really does look epic. I've only just begun reading The Dark Elf trilogy, which is apparently the only FR book series that my library has.

Do you have any absolute favourites among that collection?
Uss! Long time man! Your old now! Hope all is good with you these days
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
uss
20th Level Warrior

Long time indeed! All's quite well, thank you. I hope the same goes for you. Apparently yeah, I'm older than ever. A terrible affliction, this aging business.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
Sparhawk
Quintesson

USS: I know I am not Ziroc ( but as I have almost the same books I will gief you my 2 cents worth on the matter ).

Specifically Forgotten Realms books that are excellent:
Cleric's Quintet by R.A.Salvatore - Cadderly the young priest of Deneir and his adventures
All the books on Drizzt - of course some are better than others but it would be a mistake to miss out on some of them as they tend to follow in chrono order - only exception to this is that the dark elf triology has to do with Drizzt pre-surface world - while Icewind Dale triology is about surface world - though I would still start with Icewind Dale triology and go from there.
I have an almost avid fascination of Entreri so the spin-off series beginning with "the crystal Shard" is definately an option - but go with the drizzt books first.
From Ed Greenwood: there are the Elminster stories Beginning with "Elminster - the making of a mage"- they are bit harder to read than Salvatore's work imho - but keep in mind that I am danish and english is not my main spoken language ( I can see that you are from Estonia so same goes I guess ). Ed Greenwood is also the man behind the "swords of eventide series" that deals with Cormyr and the intrigues of the court and the different factions at work for power.

Lastly some non-FR books that I would recommend for everybody with an affinity for fantasy books:
Naomi Novik: wrote a thrilling tale of the Napoleon wars in the 19th century - called "In his Majesty's service" but wait...its not an historical book - nooo they have an airforce - incomming dragons with full crews and let the battle commence - its awesome in its own weird way of mixing the history of Europe into a fantasy.
Brent Weeks: Has written "The Night Angel Triology" a masterpiece about an assasin with a seriously hardcore attitude that takes on an apprentice - I will not spoil but let it be known that kingdoms will change from this.
Richard A. Knaak: Definately one of my all time favourite authors - his novels setting in World of Warcraft are genious, with Krasus, Rhonin and Broxigar doing some demon hunting in the past - or Rhonin trying to save himself and world from Deathwing - I hope to see more from Knaak.

Last but not least...as my nickname in here may indicate I am an avid fan of the MASTER of fantasy - good ol David Eddings who wrote the Belgariad, The Mallorean, The elenium, The tamuli and the Elder Gods ( and don't forget....a standalone book called....The redemption of Althalus )

There are soooo many more but those are the ones I would say is a must....ofc I have excluded many classics...discworld, wheel of time, legend of the seeker etc...

oh...one other book that deserves praise ( in spite of the movie being shite ) Eragon, Brisingr and Eldest from the youngest author in my lib. Chistoffer Paolini - they are AWESOME in book form - some of the absolutely best I have read in a long time.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"

Last edited by Sparhawk; 03-25-2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Forgot a few authors....ups
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #16
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

The Night Angel Trilogy is brilliant. I also recommend it.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote