Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-22-2003, 07:14 PM   #31
Lioness
Jack Burton

*cough* ahem. I'm female, slim, atheletic, outgoing, intelligent, and play roleplaying games. *shrugs* what's extroardinary about that? If when I bring up DnD I get told to "get a life", I see no point in responding to such idiocy, clearly I'd rather spend time with the few people whose company I enjoy, or enjoying myself by creating a character and playing a game, rather than putting up with the mindless conformity of those people who are so-called socially adept. I don't see that it's all that difficult to comprehend. You cannot define "gamers" by one stereotype, this board alone should show anyone that.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:15 PM   #32
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:
Ice-cream and Ricky Martin are just an emphasis, I am sure, you didn't have to take that literally.

quote:
Originally posted by Brennihilvete:
The geeks have a very low social status. Im talking about people that that dont have a social life here. People that does nothing but sitting in front of the computer all day long. They dont give a **** about their outfit or anything really. they can look rather ugly sometimes. They usually have a really low social intelligence and are really quiet in public and they dont have many real life friends.
You almost described me here. Except that I am not ugly, in fact, I am quite handsome .
And I don't think that my social status is low because I spend a lot of time on computer, it is the other way around. I hadn't had many friends even before I got a PC. Great majority of my schoolmates, friends and people in general think that entertainment cannot go without drinks and smokes (not to mention drugs). Their concept of Saturday afternoon is going to a bar and drink, then going to a club and drink some more, and after that, going to disco and drink again. I tried hanging out with such people, but I couldn't understand them and gave up soon after. If that is an alternative, then I am happy with my Baldur's Gate. What is the point of being in a place where the music is so loud that you barely hear your own thoughts? And it amuses them somehow. It's hard to find somebody who shares my outlook. You can pity me, but can you blame me?
[/QUOTE]No,I can completely agree with you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2003, 07:38 PM   #33
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:

And I don't think that my social status is low because I spend a lot of time on computer, it is the other way around. I hadn't had many friends even before I got a PC. Great majority of my schoolmates, friends and people in general think that entertainment cannot go without drinks and smokes (not to mention drugs). Their concept of Saturday afternoon is going to a bar and drink, then going to a club and drink some more, and after that, going to disco and drink again. I tried hanging out with such people, but I couldn't understand them and gave up soon after. If that is an alternative, then I am happy with my Baldur's Gate. What is the point of being in a place where the music is so loud that you barely hear your own thoughts? And it amuses them somehow. It's hard to find somebody who shares my outlook. You can pity me, but can you blame me?
You may be surprised how many people think that way. I have that same logic, never could understand the fun in the 'club scene'. Yeah I would much rather stay home reading or on the compurter then go out and do something like that.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 04-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #34
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Same here, though whatever most of my friends do involves drinking so I steer clear and just relax on my computer.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:45 PM   #35
Animal
Gold Dragon

I'm 6'5", 290lbs, single father of an 11 year old girl with several very succesful businesses. I am not what you would consider your "stero typical" gamer, more of a casual gamer, perhaps 4-5 hours a week.

I don't think gamers can be classified into any one particular group, but more of a mix from all walks of life.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:47 PM   #36
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I'm A Gamer mainly because I like Dragons all except Chinese Parade Dragons, they look more like what I would call a man eating caterpiller, too many leggs.
But I'm over 6ft tall I weigh 300 pounds and yes I'm over weight but I bench press 450 lbs 10 times and can dead lift 1100 pounds not quit the wimp you talked about. But In 1980 or 81 I don't really remember I met a group of guys that went to U.C.L.A and was invited to play a real life game of what they called Dungeon & Demons, where we played as the adventurers in the storm drains under Los Angeles and UCLA hunting other players that dressed up as Monsters and Demons and some of these demons realy took the game serously and would physically attack us, well they tried, my team won that night. The first time that team ever won I was told later. After that I learned about the pen and paper version and never played the physical version again, those U.C.L.A. guys were crazy.
But I now play computer games because you meet the best class of people, not the perverts you talked about and as far as the rest of the world of drunks and drug users we don't need them. To each his own someone once said and remember if everyone played Baldur's Gate then there wouldn't be enough games on the shelves to go around so be glad that alot of people don't care about Gaming and spend their free time at the clubs and Bars, all the better for us the good people of the world.

[ 04-22-2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 04-23-2003, 05:08 AM   #37
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
posted by vedran
------------------
I hadn't had many friends even before I got a PC. Great majority of my schoolmates, friends and people in general think that entertainment cannot go without drinks and smokes (not to mention drugs). Their concept of Saturday afternoon is going to a bar and drink, then going to a club and drink some more, and after that, going to disco and drink again. I tried hanging out with such people, but I couldn't understand them and gave up soon after.
i have the same similar experience with those people who just go out to different places, bragging about chicks they met and scored, and just drink all the time.. personally, i went out with my close friends (getting drunk twice already) but i dont think i can go out ever saterday and go to disco.. sometimes i would rather watch a good movie or just play or surf in the internet.. sometimes even just going out somewhere but not always drinking (that is reserved for special occassions)

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-23-2003, 06:38 AM   #38
Epona
Zartan

I love computer games and the internet.

But for me it's just something I do when I have nothing else planned (or like now when I'm trying to avoid housework!) I have a very active social life, and would rather be out drinking or dancing or in an art gallery than playing NWN, although that is fun when I have nothing else to do. I have a moderate amount of friends, most of whom are not in the least bit interested in PC games, and some of them like to take the piss (in the way friends do) about the fact I spend time playing games or on the internet. Mostly it's about my time spent on the internet.

And on that note, the internet has greatly expanded my circle of friends and my social life! I would never have met so many great people if it hadn't been for my computer. I've now met over 100 people that I have talked to online (I am going for the world record LOL) - and this is in part because I like face to face interaction, and get off my butt to go meet people. The site I've met most of these people from is definitely not full of geeks or overweight gamers, although all of them have an interest in PCs, the internet, or PC games (otherwise they wouldn't be online in the first place). They are basically a bunch of ordinary people, with different interests and tastes, and I've not met a single one who would fit into that stereotype. They are attractive, witty, fun people to be with.

All I can say is that anyone who believes that sort of stereotype should get out more. They are the sad bastards, not us.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:42 AM   #39
Nubilus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I love computer games and the internet.

...But for me it's just something I do when I have nothing else planned (or like now when I'm trying to avoid housework!) I have a very active social life, and would rather be out drinking or dancing or in an art gallery than playing NWN, although that is fun when I have nothing else to do... ...They are the sad bastards, not us.
You are my type!

No offense, guys. I love you all, but you all are freaking MAD! [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]
But when bad die were cast<br />We were cast down to die<br />A steeple of needles thrust into our eyes<br />So scholars might say we were blinded by pride<br />Like the sin of Our Father...<br /><br />
Old 04-23-2003, 09:27 AM   #40
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

imight be a little over weight, but that is not due to "being a gamer" i am the proudmommy of 3
and you are talking bout weird goofy guys??????
look in the miror, you are here too, so where does that put you?
as for pics, i only do LORT And D&D pics, like dragons