Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-24-2004, 05:35 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well here it is...

Quote:
Joint Statement for November 23, 2004 Press Conference on Violent Video Games

1. As the holiday shopping season begins, we come together as citizens, consumers and investors concerned about the marketing of a culture of violence in a season where "peace and goodwill toward all" are principal themes. We are especially concerned about the marketing of violent entertainment, particularly violent video games, to children.

2. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, violence (homicide, suicide, and trauma) is the most prevalent health risk for children and adolescents.

3. One factor contributing to violence is entertainment media products such as violent video games. Years of research have shown that viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggressive attitudes, values and behavior, particularly in children. Research on violent interactive media indicates that it has a strong and more lasting effect on violent behavior.

4. Video games have emerged as a popular form of entertainment, with 70% of children living in a home with at least one video game player, and 33% with one in their bedrooms. $7 billion were spent in the United States in 2003 on video and computer games.

5. We wish to speak today to corporations in the video game industry, and to adults who will be purchasing video games as holiday gifts for children.

6. We believe that corporations in the video game industry, who may pride themselves as good corporate citizens with an interest in promoting healthy communities, must assume greater responsibility in ensuring that violent interactive entertainment is not accessible to children and youth.

7. We ask companies to consider what messages are being sent to children and youth when they market certain video games that promote violence and gender and racial stereotyping. For example, the Federal Trade Commission's July 2004 study expressed a concern about advertisements promoting Mature-rated games (for ages 17 and older) in publications oriented toward younger children. We believe this type of marketing must end.

8. While a number of retailers have made efforts to restrict the sale of inappropriate games to children, we are not satisfied with the results. The Federal Trade Commission's "Mystery Shopper Survey" in 2003 found that 69% of children were able to purchase Mature-rated games in retail stores. A New York City Council Investigation Division investigation in 2003 revealed that 97% of the time, "a young person can walk into almost any store selling video games in New York City and purchase games that encourage and reward them for performing acts of violence and brutality that include beating women, shooting cops and committing racially motivated acts of violence." The report concluded: "Retailers must make a real commitment to keeping video games with graphic violence or strong sexual content out of the hands of children." And we add to that conclusion teenagers as well.

9. We call on the marketers and sellers of video games to:

· Develop standards for marketing video games that encourage/reward players for performing acts of violence and brutality, and that depict images demeaning to women and minorities.
· Prevent minors from purchasing/renting M-rated games by separating these from other games so that parents can shop for products appropriate for their children.
· Evaluate and report on their enforcement and compliance programs of policies to prevent minors from purchasing violent video games.

10. We urge those who purchase video games for children, or allow children to purchase such games, to do so with great care. While the game software industry finances a rating system through the work of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB), we are not convinced that parents can completely depend on its accuracy. Some parents' concept of what is acceptable for children and teens may not be the same as that of the ESRB. A study by Dr. Kimberly Thompson of the Harvard School of Public Health concluded that "physicians and parents should be aware that popular Teen-rated video games (ages 13 and older) may be a source of exposure to a wide range of unexpected content" including games that involve intentional violence, such as rewarding or requiring players to kill.

11. We encourage parents to exercise their power as consumers and hold retailers accountable for the way that violent video games are marketed and sold. Parents can visit retailers and find out how they display the games and how stores enforce the current ratings system. They can urge retailers to stop selling violent games or at the very least separate them from child-friendly ones. They can advocate by writing to companies and letting them know their concerns about the marketing of violent entertainment media.

They can find out what their internet service providers are doing to prevent children from purchasing or playing violent video games online.

12. Finally, we wish to name several games whose scenes of violence, gender and/or racial stereotyping are such that we would urge parents to avoid purchasing them. Some of the best-selling games of special concern are all versions of: Grand Theft Auto; Halo; Half-Life; Doom; Manhunt; and Hitman.

13. We are hopeful that with increased awareness and the empowerment of citizens, consumers and investors, the marketing of violence will decrease and the video game industry will be held accountable to create a positive system for people to enjoy age-appropriate video games.

WORST VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES

1. Doom 3
2. Grand Theft Auto: “San Andreas
3. Gunslinger Girls 2
4. Half Life 2
5. Halo 2
6. Hitman: Blood Money
7. Manhunt
8. Mortal Combat
9. Postal 2
10. Shadow Heart

RECOMMENDED NON-VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES

1. Antigrave
2. EyeToy
3. Jak 3
4. Karaoke Revlution Vol. 3
5. Madden NFL 2005
6. Mario Power Tennis
7. Prince of Persia
8. RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
9. SimCity 4
Lol, Hitman:Blood money is still in the making...
So it seems these people dont know what they are talking about...
Old 11-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

I agree on Postal 2 and Manhunt. I can't quite see why games such as Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 are considered Worst Violent Video Games though.

And for Pete's sake.. IT'S MORTAL KOMBAT!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

lol, I agree, but I can soort of understand Doom 3, mainly because of the fact that you go to hell, and there is a fare bit of gore, but jeez, HALO and Half-life 2?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:06 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

I wonder why a game like Fallout 2 isn't in there too. It has some really gruesome death animations. I suppose it's too old.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

What I don't get is how Prince of Persia is labelled as non-violent. You beat the living tar out of every monster you come across. It may not be as gruesome as Doom 3, but you still kill normal people at the start. I guess it's because there is no real blood or gore.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Doom3 is definately not the most violent, I mean Postal 2 and Manhunt (funny as they are) are by far the most violent in there. San Andreas is, like all the other GTA games, (and also like all other Rockstar games) fairly violent, a lot of those games are just pretty comical.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

No bloodlines!!

I mean have they overlooked it entirely, you can cause the blood to boil in your victim's body, which in the end causes them to explode rib's and all..
Old 11-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Ah, yes, isn't Quietus fun? I may need to get that game.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #9
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I'm sure I heard a story about a boy killing someone with a really bizarre weapon because of the game Manhunt or something.
Don't quote me on that, it could be totally different, but I'm sure thats what I heard.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

Mario Power Tennis?!?

What in the name of the seven hells?!