Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-04-2002, 03:22 PM   #21
Melusine
Dracolisk

Sheesh Larry, no worries mate! I didn't think you were being rude, I just didn't agree with you!
I think Saz is spot on by saying it depends on your location. I'm in Amsterdam the Netherlands, goths are *plain* here (OK now I'm exaggerating, LOL!)
BTW, I do find people who are tattooed all over slightly distasteful too, Attalus, I wouldn't want any tattos myself. But yeah, it's the shock effect for the most part and in the end it's their decision, and the consequences are also theirs to deal with. In a lot of branches here, they don't really care if you have tattoos or piercings any more. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 03:32 PM   #22
Azred
Drow Priestess

To answer the main post: no, Goth is not a religion, it is a fashion style.

I personally don't care to dress in all black (except when I wear black slacks, a black dress shirt, my grey coat, and a random tie) and I won't allow TJ to dress like that, but what other people wear is their own business. I think most of those people are still trying to find themselves, and they are just trying out Goth to see if it fits.
re: employment--many employers will judge you by what you wear and your personal appearance, including jewelry, tattoos, piercings, hair style, etc. If you don't believe me, try dressing like that and applying for a job with firms like Ernst & Young or Watson Wyatt. (not from personal experience, mind you, I just know how "business formal" those places are)
Regardless of what people might say, most people will judge you based on your appearance. If someone chooses to dress Goth, then they choose to have some people instantly dislike/judge them. This is simply human nature.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:36 PM   #23
Lord Shield

on rare occasions I wear black for social outings . Friend of mine had a Reservoir Dogs party for instance and I went as Mr Pink

Anotehr time was a "black shirt" theme at work one day

Old 09-04-2002, 03:40 PM   #24
Melusine
Dracolisk

Nothing wrong with wearing black on occasion It looks nice on most people and goes with all styles [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2002, 04:12 PM   #25
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Nothing wrong with wearing black on occasion It looks nice on most people and goes with all styles [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Hey, I wear black a *lot*. But I'm not Goth. I agree fully, Mel; black looks great with pretty much everything. Plus, I tend towards the adipose side, and black does make one appear slimmer. I also like colors as well, but black is great as a backdrop.

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 09-04-2002, 04:16 PM   #26
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Hey, I wear black a *lot*. But I'm not Goth. I agree fully, Mel; black looks great with pretty much everything. Plus, I tend towards the adipose side, and black does make one appear slimmer. I also like colors as well, but black is great as a backdrop.

Cheers,
-Saz
[/QUOTE]lol, when I was 7-9, I wore black A LOT and my parents got worried.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:18 PM   #27
Lord Shield

[vanity]I look good whatever i wear[/vanity]

Old 09-04-2002, 04:18 PM   #28
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Parents can be that way...

Thank the gods I'm not a parent...thank you, thank you!!

-Saz

Old 09-04-2002, 04:20 PM   #29
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Parents can be that way...

Thank the gods I'm not a parent...thank you, thank you!!

-Saz
lol, I bet you'll want little Sazs someday though.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:24 PM   #30
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
lol, I bet you'll want little Sazs someday though.
Oh ye gods and firestones! [img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] The world's not ready for it!!

-Sazerac