Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 12:32 PM   #31
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'm letting myself in for a bit of bashing, here, especially at this time, but some people just genuinely don't like America and Americans, you know, because they are perceived as being cocky, arrogant and uncaring of anyone except fellow-Americans.
It is an impression that many people have, and successive US governments have done little to dispel that impression.
It is not until such America-bashers actually have dealings with ordinary American people that they get to realise you are mostly pretty decent, ordinary people, much like themselves.

That guy was clearly a troll, but try to be understanding that not everyone loves you guys! And sometimes they feel they have reason not to.

Please don't take offence - I'm NOT an America-basher - I wouldn't be here if I was, lol!

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 12:35 PM   #32
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Newcomers only need to bring two things with them to this site - respect and courtesy to fellow members. That's all we ask.

I don't think half of them realise how serious we are!

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 12:41 PM   #33
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I'm letting myself in for a bit of bashing, here, especially at this time, but some people just genuinely don't like America and Americans, you know, because they are perceived as being cocky, arrogant and uncaring of anyone except fellow-Americans.
It is an impression that many people have, and successive US governments have done little to dispel that impression.
It is not until such America-bashers actually have dealings with ordinary American people that they get to realise you are mostly pretty decent, ordinary people, much like themselves.

That guy was clearly a troll, but try to be understanding that not everyone loves you guys! And sometimes they feel they have reason not to.

Please don't take offence - I'm NOT an America-basher - I wouldn't be here if I was, lol!

No worries, F! I understood you! Yes, there are people out there who haven't separated stereotypes out and may dislike an entire country/race/nationality etc for one bad experience. That's not wonderful, but yes it occurs and as you said, they often find the truth by associating with the very people they think they despise!

Now about you English... teehee...(uh.. actually every one of you has been so darned NICE! LOL )

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-12-2001, 12:44 PM   #34
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Now about you English... teehee...(uh.. actually every one of you has been so darned NICE! LOL )

Except that they can't play cricket. Or rugby, for that matter.

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 12:50 PM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Except that they can't play cricket. Or rugby, for that matter.

ROTFL!!! How did I know those silly sports would show up sooner or later!?
So is Australia doing well at them, then?

Cloudy, who loves her Aussies too....even if they do have that whole kangaroo/cricket thing going...

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-12-2001, 12:54 PM   #36
Sorcerer Alex

I don't understand why people would say such horrible things People like Jake don't really belong here so I think the decision to ban him was a wise one.

Old 09-12-2001, 01:03 PM   #37
Fljotsdale

Quote:

No worries, F! I understood you! Yes, there are people out there who haven't separated stereotypes out and may dislike an entire country/race/nationality etc for one bad experience. That's not wonderful, but yes it occurs and as you said, they often find the truth by associating with the very people they think they despise!

Cloudy
I met my first American when I was 19, on a train. A black American airman. He was the nicest person I had ever met; everyone in the coach was looking all gloomy and not talking to each other (typical English!), and he started singing, and making jokes and in the end we were all laughing and talking! He was really nice.
First impressions make SUCH a difference!

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 01:42 PM   #38
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Dio, you are new here, so I'll forgive you. Ironworks does NOT ban people lightly or for no cause. He was banned for flamebaiting and trolling. If he'd apologized and or ceased to do that, the mods and webmaster would not have given him warning and banned him.

I have seen new members come in and act totally inappropriately, be rude and obnoxious, get banned, beg forgiveness and actually be given a second and third chance!! So please give Dan and his moderators some credit! *heavy sigh*

PS: Dio, I do love ya, really I do...and no, I didn't get enough sleep last night

Cloudy

Cloudy, where in that thread did a Mod give any warning to Jake or ask him to stop, and have him continue afterwards? The only Mod to post anything at all in that thread before Jake left it on his own accord was Sazerac, who addressed him more as a fellow poster than as a Mod.

Don't try to pretend for one moment he was banned just for "flamebaiting and trolling." I have seen much worse in the time I have been on this forum from people who are still members. The posts of Jake's that could be described as "flames" were not made until after people were flaming him. Hell, as far as substantive content goes, Jake didn't say much at all, just a few sentences.

The difference in this case was the content of what he was saying, combined with the timing. Memnoch said as much when he posted at the end of that thread: "Your callous attitude and disregard for human life does not belong here. See you later."

Now, I ask again, is the next American who shows "a callous attitude and disregard for human life" likwise going to be banned WITHOUT a warning from a Mod?

Now, I like Memnoch (I am assuming he was the one who banned Jake), and I think he is an excellent Mod. However, emotions are riding high right now and clouding everyone's judgement. All I am saying is that I am bothered by the banning of Jake under such circumstances. I don't think what he said is as bad as people are making it out to be, from emotional overreaction. Certainly not so bad when compared to what others have said on this forum who were not banned as a result.

Old 09-12-2001, 02:06 PM   #39
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Cloudy, where in that thread did a Mod give any warning to Jake or ask him to stop, and have him continue afterwards? The only Mod to post anything at all in that thread before Jake left it on his own accord was Sazerac, who addressed him more as a fellow poster than as a Mod.

Don't try to pretend for one moment he was banned just for "flamebaiting and trolling." I have seen much worse in the time I have been on this forum from people who are still members. The posts of Jake's that could be described as "flames" were not made until after people were flaming him. Hell, as far as substantive content goes, Jake didn't say much at all, just a few sentences.

The difference in this case was the content of what he was saying, combined with the timing. Memnoch said as much when he posted at the end of that thread: "Your callous attitude and disregard for human life does not belong here. See you later."

Now, I ask again, is the next American who shows "a callous attitude and disregard for human life" likwise going to be banned WITHOUT a warning from a Mod?

Now, I like Memnoch (I am assuming he was the one who banned Jake), and I think he is an excellent Mod. However, emotions are riding high right now and clouding everyone's judgement. All I am saying is that I am bothered by the banning of Jake under such circumstances. I don't think what he said is as bad as people are making it out to be, from emotional overreaction. Certainly not so bad when compared to what others have said on this forum who were not banned as a result.

Dio, I think it was not so much WHAT he said, as the WAY he said it, and the fact that he seemed not to care about the loss of life. NOW is certainly not the time for such comments expressed in such a tactless and rather callous way.
Yes, I agree with you - overreaction. But very understandable in the circumstances, don't you think? People in general are feeling very distressed and sensitive and are MUCH less able to either tolerate or cope with such an attitude. It is not normal to this forum.

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 02:10 PM   #40
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Dio, I think it was not so much WHAT he said, as the WAY he said it, and the fact that he seemed not to care about the loss of life. NOW is certainly not the time for such comments expressed in such a tactless and rather callous way.
Yes, I agree with you - overreaction. But very understandable in the circumstances, don't you think? People in general are feeling very distressed and sensitive and are MUCH less able to either tolerate or cope with such an attitude. It is not normal to this forum.

I agree, his sense of timing was awful. And yes, the emotional overreaction is quite understandable under the circumstances.

It is precisely my point that his banning was the result of that emotional overreaction under the circumstances. I hope that this decision might be reconsidered when things calm down a bit.