Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 05:48 PM   #21
Northraven
Manshoon

Amd let's not forget that the staff of the Magi lets you cast spelltrap...probably the best spell protection a mage can have in BGII...

------------------
"I am death come for thee. Surrender and thy passage shall be...swifter"

"Kneel before the cow god!"
Old 07-18-2001, 07:16 PM   #22
jabidas
Silver Dragon

The Equaliser terrible sword, id prefer stick with Blade of the Roses at least thats dependable.

Staff of the Magi is as far as im concerned the bes Item in the game, instant invs the keep doing it casting sunfire.

------------------
Old 07-18-2001, 08:18 PM   #23
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

*stares in stunned silence for a moment*

A one handed +5 weapon that raises the weilders strength to 25 and does close to 70 damage a pop when used by a proficiant user *overrated*

What is wrong with you people, can't you see a good thing when it is thrust in front of your faces? These weapons are the foundation of any super effective team, they are each so individually powerfull they have to have some flaw or they would make the game too easy.

Crom Faeyr

: Incredible damage, can be used in one hand.

: Need to sacrifise a number of usefull items to aquire it, can only be used after you have returned from underdark.

Carsomyr

: +50% magic resistance make paladins one of only 2 classes who can realistically reach 100% MR by ToB. d10 + 5(10) + str bonus damage per hit means this weapon can eat through hundreds on baddies.

: Paladins only, so if your an evil fan this is only usefull as 6500 gold.

Staff of the magi

: Um... where to begin. With cloak of non-detection this becomes one of the best tools in the game, perfect weapon to compliment a 'sling of everends' can cast spell trap leaving you lots of spaces for timestops.

: Don't bother using it as a real weapon, you might as well smite chaos with a tooth pick. Mages should not have melee weapons, I have been killed too many times because I forgot to change back to range weapon.

Celestial Fury

: Surprisingly I don't value this weapon much... Putting pro points in Katana always rubs me up the wrong way as this is really the *only* good katana. Nice stun effect as long as your opponent doesn't have magic resistance. Good speed a nice weapon for theives though fighters should use something with a bit more punch...

: Only +3 so it can't penatrate abs immunity which is essensial later in the game, special abilities (lightning and blind) are rubbish and it's stun effect doesn't work on tougher opponents.

Notable mentions

Gesen's bow, mace of disruption, Flail of ages ( a no-brainer), dagger of fire

Addmitadly overrated

Vorpal blade (silver sword), black razor, the wave (halberd prof and you get it too late) (I would add celestial fury but I know lots of people will object)

O.k. my rather large two cents, feel free to object or add spin after all this is what a forum is for.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:31 PM   #24
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

Ace, spoil me, which is the other class?
Old 07-18-2001, 09:48 PM   #25
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I have to say that Celestial Fury's stun ability has worked adamantine golems, clay golems, stone golems, beholders, etc. basically alot of tough enemies. And it does huge damage for a 1-handed weapon. I wouldn't say its overrated, but it would have been nice if it was +4, and if there were better abilities than blind and lightning.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:01 PM   #26
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Monk (who are great btw)

ToB throws this all off with high leveling up and new items if you don't have about 70% magic resistance you become somewhat of a moot point *sigh*
Old 07-19-2001, 05:27 AM   #27
Lifetime
Red Dragon

The Lilarcor(sp) is pretty overrated I think. A +3 2-handed sword is nice, but I've never heard any of the supposed conversations, or had much benefit out of it. The flail of the ages is a real clunker, I just dont like the weapon, and the lesser short swords and long swords with minor bonuses I dont even like. I never use those bonuses anyway, because I've never had the need. I just need a good +3 sword to hit my opponents with, not protection from speeding or the ability to blur yourself or the power to toss flaming peanuts out of the hilt..
The Daystar as well, is overrated. I never use it as a sword, only for it's Sunray ability.

------------------
Why?
Old 07-19-2001, 05:38 AM   #28
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I agree - Lilicor is overated, although its charm protection is nice - but then you can easily find helms of charm protection anyway.

But Flail of Ages is great - it's what my kensai uses regularly. The good thing about it is that even if the target is immune to normal damage, the heads give 1 point of damage each (acid, electricity, and cold I think). My kensai regularly dishes about 20+ damage using FoA per attack.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-19-2001, 08:36 AM   #29
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

To talk to Lilacor, you need to check it in your inventory I think. It will also speak during battles. It doesn't have much to say really.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:05 AM   #30
Mage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I found the Gesen bow a load of sh*t.