Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
Greidee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The gold digger trait hasn't been discussed forever, but i thought it was worth a re-mention.

In honour of Missy, i decided to do a solo ratkin adventure. Now the gold was good, but i realised near the end of the game that i had picked up a whole lot of new and powerful items...No, not new to the forum, but definitely new to me. By the end of the game, i had picked up pretty-well every weapon, amulet and ring that can be found - and all within one pretty standard game. About the only thing i didn't get was the lady's lance (i think). I got stuff i hadn't heard of before, like the master lockpicks, the ?sword of heaven, the amulet of heaven thingie- sorry i lost track. I've forgotten about the other things, cause i've run through twice since then, but anyway, i have a strong feeling that the gold digger is more than it is cracked up to be.

Anyone else want to comment??

PS. I'm determined to beat the 23 minute guantlet, i just got distracted by the level 14 powers that were quoted. More to follow.
Greidee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I must admit I have never played a ratling character. But taken into consideration how seldom one finds the "Eye of Heaven", for example, it could be rather interesting to try the trait on occasion.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
Greidee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The weirdest thing about ratlings and pixies, is when you get up to high levels, they pack the same punch as everyone else...except what they can carry. It's kind of funny watching my pixie sweeeping this massive Mavin sword around and doing the same sort of damage as a warrior class...but she can't pick up much. hehe
Greidee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I wonder if the Golddigger trait lets you find a higher class of loot, instead of just more of it. Interesting theory... and I'm not sure how to test it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

I think it was only luck. I have tried the Gold Digger trait several times and I haven't seen any difference between having it and not having it.

As to the pixies and ratlings. It's a curse of all games. You are offered trucks of races, which supposedly differ each other, but they differ only in the very beginning of the game. A few levels up and all differences are gone forever.
There is only one race in W&W, which differs from the remaining races - an elf. The Quick Learner trait is a never vanishing advantage. All other "race traits" become invisible soon. Even the Mana Seed (Omphaaz) and Dodge (Pixie) traits become unessential at higher levels.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

According to the manual the trait lets one find more and BETTER loot, so I assume it has also something to do with higher class loot.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I always thought that Gold Digger trait means more gold pile found. I didn't know that it effects other loots too.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

Sure, but I haven't seen anything, which I could call better loot. The "trash bins" contained trash as usual, chests that usually contained some better loot gave some better loot in the end.

In fact, I tested the trait and wanted to see what is the trait worth. I reloaded the game at each chest several times. No visible result.

It is possible, that the chests will contain more money (I haven't counted money during the testing) in average. It is also possible, that you will have a bit better chance to get an item worth of noticing. But, IMO, you can get only such items, which you can get without the trait, too.