Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-18-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Just coming back to W&W after a little, well quite long, break.
Usually play solo in RPG's and wanted to do something "different" this time around, so am playing a Solo Ranger. No class changes other than getting to Ranger which I have done with no Warrior levels, so only other class is Warrior Level 1, then all Ranger levels. Least thats the plan.

Will play on Normal for Crypt etc then switch to Hard, somehow I always find this game easier on Hard, maybe its the extra exp points. Have played Solo at W&W many times and it always gets too easy by mid game, so thought this appraoch may toughen it up somewhat.

Killing the Raptor at Lev 1 Warrior was bloody tough! Even on Easy difficulty.
Took a few attempts. In the end I created some extra chars for the 200 gold each, bought best armor and weap I could afford, a couple of potions and managed to beat the Raptor, then back to Guild for promotion to Ranger.

Early days, just messing around at Nymph Lake getting some exp at mom. Seems to be taking a while to get enough Stats to get to Warlock class change to join the Wizard Guild (then cancel class change). Plan to join all Guilds, and do all Quests.

Anyway, thought I'd have a ramble if there is anyone still here!
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

SOunds like a good challenge, Mr. Creosote! You'll have to keep us posted on how the game progresses!

What other solo characters have you played?
I never did a solo game myself. Know a lot of the regular posters here have tried many more variations for the game than I ever did.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Definitely sounds challenging! I think you've inspired me to try a solo bard game once I complete my current game... could be very, very challenging.

Keep us posted on how things progress along...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
I think you've inspired me to try a solo bard game once I complete my current game... could be very, very challenging.
Solo Bard's actually depressingly easy ...

They're decent fighters, thieves, of course Musicians, and have Moon magic.

If you take full advantage of the Moon magic -- i.e. stay Invisible all the time, Call of Home back to town every double level change for training, &tc. -- it's as though you were a Zenmaster.

Now a Bard who never trained in Moon would be a cool game ...
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Wyvern - my Solo's in W&W tend to follow the same pattern, lots of class changes around Lev 8 or 9, all the 6 magic groups, and end up as Ninja or Assassin (if I have the personal Stamina for the Stout mines!). Trouble is they just get so powerful that by the mid game nothing touches them, even the good 'ol Lillies.

I picked Solo Ranger becuase it doesnt have Moon magic, which IMO is the best of all the Magic groups.

I'm in the Crypt and playing on Hard difficulty, and so far no probs. A am already worried that it will be all too easy. I think the prob is that W&W just isnt geared for Solo's who become so powerful by attaining all the exp's. Ive realised already that the only tough fight in this game was the Raptor, the very first fight.

I love W&W but its definitely IMO better played with a party rather than a Solo.

I'll carry on and see what transpires.

PS Glad to see there is still life in this forum, W&W Lives!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I tend to like parties myself which is one of the things I'm wondering about for Dungeon Lords. I expect that we'll be able to pick up NPCs but it looks like it's basically a "solo" game - not as completely solo as W&W when you choose to play it that way. Having been designed for a party, W&W's experience would really pump up your character providing you survive long enough to get there. I can see how after a point your character would just be too powerful. Still it should be a fun (if not as challenging) a variation. If we had tons of CRPGs to choose from doing such variations might not be our first choice but there just aren't as many CRPGs available as once there were.

These days I play some Settlers III when I have time for a game but generally am not spending too much time in games. Too much to do! lol!! It would be nice to get totally into a new game. I can remember so many for which I stayed up a bit too long just to get to the next level or finish a dungeon. hehehe Most certainly I paid for it the next day, but that was fun!

Wyv
Old 12-18-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The ease with which a solo character levels up is part of the reason I played the Den of Thieves party. Heck, Rumphy's good for some 6000 XP... so by yourself, that could be three or four new levels. With a party of six, it's one at the most.

I also prefer parties to loners. Just my nature, I guess [img]smile.gif[/img] I like controlling more than one person at a time (*looks sideways at the family... *)
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:47 AM   #8
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Well, I've done all the initial Guild quests, got the Mavin Signet and paddled my way up to Ishad Na, all on Hard Difficulty and only using one spell - the open traps (no other way to open locks without it). Surprisingly easy so far, the hardest thing has been getting enough money to join guilds etc.

Must say I quite like the idea of a "pure" Solo, but miss the char development of class changing. Also Vinecraft spells are pretty useless apart from the essential open locks, and cure poison. In fact a Ranger is pretty boring! Ranged combat is a waste of time in W&W, so the Ranger is basically a Warrior with spell ability to open locks, makes me wonder if I may as well be playing as a Barbarian. I *could* be wrong but I don't forsee a problem with the Solo Ranger, but it just isn't that interesting to play. The Lillies will be a challenge but I think I can get powerful enough that by the time I have to take them on I will be able to whittle them down.

Its got me wondering about playing a "pure" Solo Ninja. I *think* it could be possible along these lines...... Take a Party up to the Ninja promotion quest with a "Mule" char that hasnt engaged in any combat so has zero exp. Get the Mule to do the Ninja promotion, so that they are a Lev 1 Warrior and Lev 1 Ninja, all with zero exp. Go back to Valeia. Reset Adventures etc to restart the game, and the Mule is Lev 1 Ninja only. Think I'm gonna give it a try!!
Old 12-19-2004, 05:39 AM   #9
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Ok, replying to my own postings now, its the sign of a sick mind [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have managed to start a new game (Reset Adventures) with pure Solo Ninja. Zero experience and zero levels, in fact zero in just about everything except 2 in Sword. He's also broke and can't afford any gear. Basil the Ratling Ninja (I once had a pet rat called Basil ... "Are all your pets called Basil?") just stuck his head outside the gates of Valeia on Easy difficulty and promply got beaten up and killed by a bunch of Trolls, aha! a challenge!

If I have the stamina for it, and if I can develop him well within the confines of pure Ninja, it will be interesting to see exactly what level he ends the game at. Ive had Assassins who ended up at Levl 100, so he ought to be higher, I think.

PS Pls excuse the endless rambles at the mom, you are forgiven if you doze off [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

hehehehe

With a start like that, Basil's life sounds like it will be most interesting!