Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Cornbread
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Been screwing around with a different build for an assassin lately just to make one a little more useful than just being a one hit wonder. My build is a halfling cleric 9, rogue 1, assassin X and it seems to work pretty decent. I usually take Trickery and Travel for the cool spells and it has been working out a little better than I expected actually. Instead of going with a melee assassin, I took point blank shot and rapid shot and use slings or darts. The cool think about that is halflings get a size bonus to attack, and a bonus for throwing weapons so I don't usually worry about weapon focus and it lets him be a little more open to weapons available. I also take extend spell at 9th level to make those darknesses last alot longer. Entangle is a useful 1st level spell, as is web at second level from the travel spells since the guy is a thrower/slinger anyways. Start dex and Int at 16 and I have been adding to Int to increase the DC for the deathblow save. Hell even with just one level of assassin the guy was slaying all kinds of stuff. Plus as a cleric you can totally redo your spells to aid in fighting undead. Searing light does pretty decent damage and the buffs make this guy useful in most party situations. Halflings also get a bonus to hide and stealth, but you don't really need it with all the invis and sanctuary spells available. So you can actually wear heavy armor and do all your death attack stuff. With a dex at 16, Chainmail works pretty good since it isn;t super heavy and you can get some pretty decent magical chainmails. Anyways, just wanted you guys thoughts on this build. I am having a blast roleplaying a sorta shadowpriest type evil guy who can convince people to underestimate him and all. Just curious what kinda feats you guys would choose for this sorta character. Thanks in advance,

Sly
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If you're going to take quite a few assassin levels, then you could level off your int at 14, maybe 16, and start putting points in dex. This will improve your overall ab with with missile weapons, and if your clericy side is using a mace, invest a feat in weapon finesse. Class level is also used to determine DC on the death attack. You might want to consider a focus in one or another of the missile weapons you're using, for tougher opponents, any increase in ab is welcome. Overall, it's a neat build, although I'd have taken a few more char lvls in cleric, to meet the Hide requirement, and left rogue out.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Cornbread
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, I thought about taking more cleric levels, but then I would have to put more points in to wisdom and that detracts alot from the rest of the build. Right now I just go up to 14 wisdom and put one more point in to it at 12 to be able to cast level 5 spells. I read somewhere that assassins don't get any use out of improved sneak attack unless they have one level of rogue too. Weapon finesse would be useful if he needed to get down and dirty with a melee and a shield but those situations would be pretty rare. I was actually thinking about taking exotic weapons to have access to shurikens as another possible missle weapons. With the rogue level he would be able to use any missle weapon besides longbows, and the darkness/sneak attack combo would get around most any damage resistance. Over all I am finding him pretty versatile running through different mods. I had another idea for a halfling monk6/assassin 5/blackguard X using the usual sneaky death attack stuff with blackguard summons for support. Never really tried it though.

Sly
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote