Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-13-2001, 07:02 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Did you examined 3rd edition? Sorcerors are a little bit different there, they can be proficient with any weapon and they cast their spells with Charisma modifier. In Bg2 or 3rd edition, no matter really which is, I still think that Sorceror class has to be more special, different than Mage class. Their only difference is big disadvantage in spell quantity and an advantage to spell casting per day. But the biggest enjoyment of to be a Mage is the feeling of collecting spells, choosing your spells from your spellbook. So I get really bored when I'm playing with Sorceror. There was only "few" spells for me to cast and I have to think for hours when I advance a level to choose a new spell.

For some time, there was a spell caster kit in my mind. I thinked a lot for its name. I decided to describe it as "Sorceror", and I'm thinking about to use it in my AD&D sessions which we played with character sheets on a table with dices, (it's unmatched) I like to share my ideas with you..

Here we go..

Sorceror

Sorcerors cast spells with the magical energy within. Legends tell that they possess draconian blood. True or false, they have a potential power within which lets them cast spells without spellbook. They don't memorize spells, they don't use scrolls. They cast spells with their magic potential.

A Level 1 Sorceror starts with 10 spell points. He cast spells with these spell points. For example, a 1st level spell costs 10 spell points, a 3rd level spell costs 30 spell points. A 6th level Sorceror has 60 spell points, (if he doesn't have bonus spell points, High Intelligence gives you bonus spell points) so he/she can cast 1 fireball and 3 magic missile or 4 burning hands and 1 mirror image. They gain new spells as they advance levels.

A sorceror gains extra HP and SP when he advances level. He gains additional 10 + Int - 15 spell points.

The difference between The Sorcerors and Mages is their spell casting style and form. A 16th level Mage can cast five 1st, 2rd ,3rd ,4rd level spell; four 5th level spells; three 6th and 7th level spells and one 8th level spells. The total is 31 but a 16th level Sorceror doesn't have 310 spell points. A 16th level Sorceror with 17 Intelligence has 192 spell points. So there's a penalty for quantity of spells and an advantage for spell selection. You don't worry about "Oh Why I didn't memorized this spell!" Also you don't have a horrible spell quantity limitation like other Sorceror class; you don't gain only 1 new spell per level.

I'm still making some corrections with numbers like additional SP should be more or less, or A sorceror should gain more SP as he advanced a new level etc, feel free to share your ideas with me..

For example, I'm thinking about 2 alternatives for new spells per level.

- You gain 1 + (Int - 15) new spell. So If your intelligence is 18 you got 4 new spells as you advance a level.
- You gain all spells like clerics but you have to choose 2 opposite schools which are opposite between them. (Like Illusion and Necromancy)

Racial Requirements

Only Humans, Half-Elves and Elves can become Sorcerors.

Ability Requirements

CON 13
INT 15
CHA 15

Weapon Proficiencies

They can be proficient with dagger, club, schimitar, spear, sling, staff and dart. A Sorceror who wields an item which has "Dragon Slayer" ability takes 2 hp damage and as a reflex; drops the item instantly.

Class Features

They gain an extra +1 to their saving throws for Breath Weapon per 3 levels.

They gain %1 resistance against fire,acid and poison per level.

Not for your eyes only, also for your beatiful, long ears..
Old 09-13-2001, 07:11 PM   #2
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

I like that kit. I did many of new character kits for a popular german rpg system called "Das schwarze Auge"("the black eye"). But noone of my friends wanted to play such a char(for example: cavalier, archer, some jester-like dark elven kit...), so I resigned.

------------------
Calvin the bold - the malt beer lord is in!
Old 09-13-2001, 07:17 PM   #3
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Black Eye? Never heard of it. Would you like to tell me about it?
Old 09-13-2001, 07:19 PM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Also all other Class & Kits ideas are welcome
Old 09-13-2001, 07:24 PM   #5
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Hm, what can I say about it? What do you want to know? Itīs an rpg system like many others. Itīs just the most popular here in germany. At least it was until 4-5 years ago. I think itīs much more newbie-friendly than AD&D. But later on, I modified many of the fundamental rules to make them more realistic. The combat system was more like the one in Shadowrun in the end. But it was better. IMHO, Shadowrun has the most realistic combat rules.

------------------
Calvin the bold - the malt beer lord is in!
Old 09-15-2001, 07:25 PM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Sounds interesting, I also think that barbarian class must be modified. I would be happy if people share their comments with me about this class (my sorceror)

------------------

"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Guardian of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Old 09-16-2001, 02:19 AM   #7
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

like that sorcer

------------------

so sweat , you find them no sweater than this ...
no prettier than this ..

you can geus who it is

!!!!! AERIE !!!!!!
Old 09-16-2001, 05:36 AM   #8
Kezardin
Elminster

Zoltan,

Sir-tech released the 'Realms of Arkania' trilogy of computer games back around 1994 using the system in Das Schwarze Auge.

The games were Blades of Destiny, Star Trails and Shadows over Riva.

Kez
Old 09-16-2001, 08:38 AM   #9
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks Kez, I'll have a look

One more thing, anyone who enjoyed Sorceror class in BG2? I felt incredible boring (you got only few spells you always cast the same spells) no feeling of wizard, like a powerplay spellcaster. Do you think the same? And what's your opinions about the Sorceror class I created? (and if you can find an interesting name, you're welcome)

------------------

"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Guardian of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"