Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-22-2001, 08:37 AM   #1
alxander1
Dungeon Master

How do you dispell or remove - Domination, confusion, intelligence drain ?

In general other than the simple clerics - dispell magic - spell are there any other spells that remove the affects of negative magic cast on a party member ?
Old 05-22-2001, 08:39 AM   #2
Lord Shield

Intelligence Drain only lasts for a few seconds. Run round the room for a bit then smack the Mind Flayer some mroe
Helm/Charm Protectiom
Shield vs Charm/Domination/Hold
Lilarcor (vs Confusion)
Chaotic Commands Spell
Green Amulet
Brine Potion
other things too, but can't remember from top of my head (must have been INT drained)

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-22-2001, 08:40 AM   #3
white heron
Manshoon

I never used Dispelling magic hardy ever,but i understand that 'charm person' can be pretty handy for reclaiming your teammates.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:02 AM   #4
alxander1
Dungeon Master

Lord Shield - It sounds like what you are saying is that there are no counter spells to the spells I listed ? Possibly charm the person back to my team but that is it ??? Only Items + defensive spells can help ???

Old 05-22-2001, 10:46 AM   #5
Legolas the Elven Archer

If you are charmed, dominated or something like that you can
A) use charm spells of your own
B) use the chaotic command spell
C) wait until the effects pass
D) reload and hope for better luck,
but remember that a pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure (or was it the other way around?).

It is best to use items like Helm of Charm Protection or Shield of Harmony. That way you won't get dominated, charmed or confused at all.
The drained intelligence will be restored after two or three rounds
Good luck with the mindflayers!

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 05-22-2001, 10:56 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The only way to remove domination, dire charm or charm person on a party member is by use of a dispel magic spell. Intelligence drain just comes back after a set number of rounds - short of gulping a Potion of Genius or something nothing will speed that up.

------------------
Old 05-22-2001, 11:12 AM   #7
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
The only way to remove domination, dire charm or charm person on a party member is by use of a dispel magic spell. Intelligence drain just comes back after a set number of rounds - short of gulping a Potion of Genius or something nothing will speed that up.
It has been my experience that your statement is true except for in one case...

I've found that when Confusion, Charm, Domination, etc. is applied from a non-magical source (i.e. Illithids, Umber Hulks, Vampires), Dispel Magic won't help you. In that case, your best option would be to charm your NPC back to your side if possible.

Or...this could all be a big coincidence. I'd like to know for sure though.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-22-2001, 11:30 AM   #8
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by alxander1:
Lord Shield - It sounds like what you are saying is that there are no counter spells to the spells I listed ? Possibly charm the person back to my team but that is it ??? Only Items + defensive spells can help ???

oops - put my reply on the wrong thread. I was thinking preventative measures, not curative. The usual dispel magic/remove magic and counter-charms should help (counter-charm isn't too reliable as they might make their save

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-22-2001, 11:55 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
It has been my experience that your statement is true except for in one case...

I've found that when Confusion, Charm, Domination, etc. is applied from a non-magical source (i.e. Illithids, Umber Hulks, Vampires), Dispel Magic won't help you. In that case, your best option would be to charm your NPC back to your side if possible.

Or...this could all be a big coincidence. I'd like to know for sure though.

You are CORRECT, because in that case there is no magic to dispel. The "confusion" that illithids use is actually something called Psionic Blast, which basically puts the victims in a fugue state so that it's easier for the mind flayer to walk up and suck their brains out.

So in that case, prevention is definitely the best cure.

------------------
Old 05-22-2001, 01:38 PM   #10
Vampire

Dispel Magic Rules. You can dispel ALL fear and any other mind spells with it. Along with stoneskin, haste.....the list goes on!
Keldorn does it in a tick so there!