Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Looking at starting my second run through NWN2 and wanted to build an FT/W/AA. The 2 elf option would give me a xp hit. I was wondering if its possible to hit 20 with this xp hit?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Actually, since Wizard is the favored class of Elves, there would be no xp hit.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

But if you use a wood elf you get a hit if you start as a fighter then do a switch. I made one with a drow with out any hits except for the natural one.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

You shouldn't take any hits with a single class character. Unless woodelves don't have wizard as a preferred class? Ok, preferred class is Ranger, so if you go Ranger/Wizard/AA you won't have a hit, and the Ranger has the same attack table as the fighter class, plus you'll get an animal companion, and some spells. Not to mention that if you stay in light armor, you'll get dual wield/improved two weapon fighting for free.

Edit: Providing you take 9 levels of Ranger for the build.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Yes I did the same build with a ranger but I was being greedy and wanted some of the fighter feats as well as the bonus fighter feats. The xp hit does occur when you take the wiz class and according to the character build spreadsheet carries when you go to AA as well but not at any fighter levels. You dont get any xp hit ( except for the natural one) if you go drow ft/w/aa. Will probally try doing 1 of each just for grins ( granted they will pale in comparison to any of your Uber AA builds)...

[ 06-04-2007, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: toot033 ]
Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hmm, you shouldn't take any hits at all for prestige classes, unless they changed that rule in 3.5. I just looked it up, and prestige classes do not count to the xp penalty. However, you will continue to take xp penalties anywhere you already have one. The other option would be to use one of the other types of elf, instead of the Wood Elf for your build. Any of the other Elf sub races would be fine for a fighter/wiz/aa.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

That is what probally is happening if you go ft not ranger. I think I'll do the drow ( dodges lightning bolts and hides from lawyers...)
Old 06-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Bah, you just shoot the lawyers, and they did change the feats for two weapon fighting, I noticed while working on my first ranger.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Was playing around with the build calculator, and you can make a wood elf ranger SORC AA with out the xp hit by using wiz. You just have to play with the stats to make it work. I'll have to tweak it a little bit.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

toot my man, that's because ranger is the preferred class for woodelves. It doesn't count when figuring the xp hit, just like prestige classes don't count. Using a ranger base, you could go with 1 level of sorc or wizard, or two levels of bard without a hit.