Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2001, 07:57 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Just read 2 reviews for W&W. 1 in Computer Gaming World and another in Computer Games magazine. They give nothing better than a fair review.

Question is - When will they realize that this game is not made for the gamers who want cutting edge graphics and real time type combat. They put it down for what it isn't. I love this game and I love it more, the longer I play. I love building my characters, finding new kinds of weapons and armour, and finding new NPCs with different voices.

I could play this game even if there was no story, if it was just a world with neat stuff to do.

I want a sequel to happen.

I want more of this type of game. I don't want to look down on my party as if I'm a God watching their progress. This game allows us to roleplay each character if we want (you see it posted here all the time).

This is good and I'm afraid if the reveiws are like this, we may have seen the end.

Heuristic Park: Please make more. The loyal fans will follow you.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 10:56 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Nice post, skywalker!! (haven't seen you posting in a while! hope you lurk lots!)

Friend of mine used to write for Computer Gaming World. As it happens, I talked to her on the phone yesterday for quite a while. She had a jolly time going on and on about Baldurs Gate II and other games she has been playing and reviewing (she has an online 'Zine now) but eventually the conversation came around W&W. She said that she had been very disappointed in the game and I know she gave W&W a poor review - yet I could tell that she had had more fun playing W&W than her review admitted. She, unfortunately, experienced a lot of the "BAD bugs"* while playing which was probably enough right there to cause the review to head down hill. Now is it a possibility that reviewers of computer games tend to be reviewing on close to state of the art gaming machines and the vidcard seeming to be one of W&W weak points - could that have been what spawned the general bad reviews?? Pity - this is a GOOD GAME!!!

Makes me wish we could write reviews!!

* but she enjoyed the "GOOD bugs" go figure!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 02:30 PM   #3
Lily the Ranger

Reviews . . . never read them. But since I have discovered forums, I think that I have the ultimate review. You ask a question and an entire gaggle of absolutely wonderful people come out with brutally honest answers that are 99.9% helpful! That would be the ultimate review mag . . . people who have played the game but aren't being paid to give a good review or selected because they did.

W&W is different . . . it is an experience . . . I have been fortunately and had very few of the bugs that crash the game. SAVE often, i do . . . usually! Character development is personal thing. Each time my character acquires a skill, role, trait item . . . I SEE them with it. It changes them. Each time Talon cast flamedrop while we were toe-to-toe with the foe, I heard them screaming "no" just before it hit and cursing his youthful inexperience as they burned. *Ow, ow, ow, ow* Of course I have a VERY vivid imagination.

I would like a sequel . . . with the items that bug us the most fixed (see Wyv's Wish List . . . I want to sleep, know the time of day, I don't really want to pay attention to ration and water). I really don't want to use the cheats. Just me. Each of us enjoys the game differently. Frankly, you all talk about editting and Lily breaks out into a cold sweat and shakes uncontrollably. But both my son and I play and have come around a corner to be STARTLED by a monster on more than one occasion . . . I think we are into the game. We talk about our characters as though they had social security numbers . . . I think we are into the game. Even at my most frustrated, I wanted to play. If possible I would like to see a multiplayer version or spinoff.

MORE
Old 01-08-2001, 03:32 PM   #4
Moni

Those "Hard Core Gamers" just don't understand the concept of multi-classing do they?

You know I was running DirectX 8 on my system when I first tried the game & had so MANY MANY problems!
Might & Magic VIII no longer functioned properly after that either.
Since I reformatted & started over I did not update DirectX and it has been working fine. Think there is a connection there?
I mean, I know that the gaming world depends on DirectX...my boyfriend nearly bowed to me when he heard I had downloaded the latest update if DirectX...but getting ahead of the components the game was made for CAN wreak havoc on its abilities to function properly, right?
Old 01-08-2001, 05:14 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

You know,
I like this game so much, that I restarted the game at least 5 times. (Mainly because I wanted to develop my group the best way possible, and after learning new things here and on my own, I restarted over and over). And I never got tired of doing the same parts again and again. It was still fun to me.

One good thing the reviewer in CGW wrote of W&W, is that if players gave it a chance, it would get lots better. All I need was to play a few hours and I got a handle on the mechanics and it's been fun ever since.

Moni: I read your post about the trolley and I thought I would die laughing. Thank you.

Wyvern: I lurk here a lot. I don't type well so I don't post much, but I'm here.

Lily: I love your's and other poster's roleplaying bits.

This is the best forum I've frequented. I think all the angry young gamers have left us to go trash other games. I'm glad this group has outlasted them.
Old 01-08-2001, 05:32 PM   #6
Moni

From my boyfriend:

"As far as ratings go PC Gamer (the premier gaming mag) gave it a 78 ONLY because of the bugs in the game. They also went on to say that it has a very rich RPG environment and that if RPG is your thing this is definitely the game for you.
I don't think I've ever seen a game come out that didn't have bugs. I also think the graphics are on par with any game I've played recently.

I too lmao at the trolley "incident" it was even funnier for me because I watched her do it! LOL"
Old 01-08-2001, 06:34 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

One last thing about magazines.

Computer Gaming World was much better before Ziff Davis took over. I miss Scorpia and the old format. I guess I am getting too old for the flash that passes for Game reporting these days.

Mark